8. Too poor to buy food, to poor to buy alcohol
9. Was hungover on Christmas morning
10. If my Mom finds out it will break her heart
11. Crave bad food while hungover
12. Don’t eat veggies and fruit while hungover
13. Vomited with blood in it twice
14. I have a heart murmur and shouldn’t tempt fate
15. My pre-teen is more likely to drink
16. It’s awful to wake up at night to get kids a drink,etc.
17. Sleep suffers horribly
18. Up all night peeing
19. Dehydrated feeling all day
20. The beautiful sun hurts my eyes and makes me mad
21. I am crabby day after
22. I am severely irritable the day after and yell at my kids
23. Day after all I do is sit on internet
24. My liver is going to be damaged
25. I use more nicotine when drunk, increase cancer risk
26. My praying/spiritual life suffers
27. I isolate myself from non-drinkers
28. I forget shows and movies I’ve seen
29. I say/do inappropriate things
30. I drunk Facebook
31. Negatively affects my intimate life overall
32. I get bloated
33. Dry skin
34. Red veiny “drunks” nose
35. I dread taking care of my outdoor animals when drunk
36. Being drunk of hungover keeps me from pursuing my hobbies and passions
37. I waste a huge amount of time and life being hungover
38. I spend all day waiting to drink
39. Dealing with all the recycling stuff
40. Let me just repeat I am a crabby beotch when hungover
41. I might get throat,esophageal,colon,etc. cancer
42. Heart disease
43. White lies and deceit to the non-drinking side of my family
44. Anxiety
45. Depression
46. Feeling of dread and regret after drinking
47. Guilt
48. I would be a better Mother
49. My memory is shot and I can’t remember so much of my life
50. We spend $208 a month on alcohol
51. Can’t go camping or vacation without worrying about alcohol
52. Can’t even go in a bar without fear I will get bombed and make a fool of myself
53. I have wasted enough of my life.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Read that whenever you feel you need to drink. Great list.

Did you go to your DRs about your health ailments esp the blood in vomit? If not, please get checked out. Chances are everything is ok, but if something isnt you can likely nip it in the bud early and be much better off.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very good list! I agree with Jryan about seeing a doctor for the blood in your vomit. It sounds like something is going wrong internally.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
53 Reasons not to drink 1. Heart palpitations 2. No energy day after 3. Dishes and cleaning are neglected 4. Too hungover to go church sun. morning 5. 5 year old asked why I didn’t get beer when I only bought gas at the station 6. Headaches/neckaches 7. No will to exercise 8. Too poor to buy food, to poor to buy alcohol 9. Was hungover on Christmas morning 10. If my Mom finds out it will break her heart 11. Crave bad food while hungover 12. Don’t eat veggies and fruit while hungover 13. Vomited with blood in it twice 14. I have a heart murmur and shouldn’t tempt fate 15. My pre-teen is more likely to drink 16. It’s awful to wake up at night to get kids a drink,etc. 17. Sleep suffers horribly 18. Up all night peeing 19. Dehydrated feeling all day 20. The beautiful sun hurts my eyes and makes me mad 21. I am crabby day after 22. I am severely irritable the day after and yell at my kids 23. Day after all I do is sit on internet 24. My liver is going to be damaged 25. I use more nicotine when drunk, increase cancer risk 26. My praying/spiritual life suffers 27. I isolate myself from non-drinkers 28. I forget shows and movies I’ve seen 29. I say/do inappropriate things 30. I drunk Facebook 31. Negatively affects my intimate life overall 32. I get bloated 33. Dry skin 34. Red veiny “drunks” nose 35. I dread taking care of my outdoor animals when drunk 36. Being drunk of hungover keeps me from pursuing my hobbies and passions 37. I waste a huge amount of time and life being hungover 38. I spend all day waiting to drink 39. Dealing with all the recycling stuff 40. Let me just repeat I am a crabby beotch when hungover 41. I might get throat,esophageal,colon,etc. cancer 42. Heart disease 43. White lies and deceit to the non-drinking side of my family 44. Anxiety 45. Depression 46. Feeling of dread and regret after drinking 47. Guilt 48. I would be a better Mother 49. My memory is shot and I can’t remember so much of my life 50. We spend $208 a month on alcohol 51. Can’t go camping or vacation without worrying about alcohol 52. Can’t even go in a bar without fear I will get bombed and make a fool of myself 53. I have wasted enough of my life.
Wow. All of these are on my list too!

I hate peeing 10+ times a night! I hate being hungover on Christmas! I feel awful that my 10 yr old as been exposed to so much alcohol. I hate that I can't but groceries because I spend it all on booze. And it's funny you mentioned avoiding non drinkers. I always thought I had no friends because I wasn't likeable or blaming my husbands personality when in truth it was because I was avoiding "normal" people so that I can drink whenever and wherever I wanted to.

But that's all in the past now. I don't drink anymore. And I will keep this list to remind me why I quit!
Old 03-05-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like a great list to me. Print it out and stick it on the fridge. Put one in your wallet right next to the money you might use to buy booze. Keep a copy on your phone so you can read it anytime you need to.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post!!
Old 03-05-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Impressive list of negatives. Now let's build a list of positives for sober living!
Old 03-05-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love it, the only thing I would change is the title:

53 Good Reasons Why I Never Want to Drink Again
Old 03-05-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am a single guy so the things on your list involving family don't apply, but everything else is on my list. guilt and shame for these things kept me drinking because I couldn't deal with it. I have accepted my past and instead of drinking see a therapist to deal with it.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good to see you Artic!

Keep adding to your list.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Sounds like a great list to me. Print it out and stick it on the fridge. Put one in your wallet right next to the money you might use to buy booze. Keep a copy on your phone so you can read it anytime you need to.
This
Old 03-05-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I went to the doc today and she was better and more helpful than that addiction counselor I went to.
She said my the bleeding is due to either a very inflamed irritated stomach or an ulcer. I could have a tube procedure to know for sure, but she said the treatment is the same. 2 months of RX antacids and NO drinking. Holy crap, it just got really real now.
I told the doc I wanted Liver function tests to really make myself want to quit and she said "And drinking until you make your stomach bleed isn't enough?"
Good point.
She is still doing lots of different tests though.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Been there and be glad that it isn't worse. It can be. It took about two months of antibiotics to clear things up for me. Drinking again will just bring it back into focus. Good luck on healing. Glad you're back.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad you are taking steps to resolve the drinking and to care about your health, Arctic. Good to see you posting. You can take this as a turning point if you choose to. That list you posted is good -- negative reinforcement (scaring myself, guilt, etc) also worked quite well for me in the beginning. But after a while, it's best to use positive motivators as we grow in our sobriety so that will won't want to go back to the self-destruction. Many people like to post about gratitude here, for example -- perhaps something for you to look at?