Notices

should i go back to AA???

Old 03-05-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Earth Child

should i go back to AA???

Am unsure if i should go back ton AA on Sunday i made a fool of myself in front of a lot of people in AA i was sober at the time thing is i hate talking in groups of people because of my mental health i stuttered and wasnt making much sense ... my husband says i didnt make a fool of myself but he wasnt there
Am a very nervous person as well
unsure what i should do
Old 03-05-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My vote is to go back. AA is for you; I hope you don't let a little embarrassment get in the way.

(I would bet that your husband is right and you didn't do anything embarrassing).
Old 03-05-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Dark Asylum View Post
unsure what i should do
I think you do what you have to do to stay sober. Perhaps your mental health issues and nervousness are getting in the way of making an objective decision. We tend to flee from what we fear...even what is good for us.

Also, you say you hate talking in front of groups...the meetings are just a component of AA, and you don't have to talk. Success from AA comes from getting a sponsor and working the steps. You don't do that in front of a group.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

you don't have to talk, no matter what.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi.

I definitely recommend going back, every one there understands what it’s like to be nervous and uneasy because we’ve all been there. The more you go the easier it becomes. It’s also a great place to develop new friendships and help others when the time comes.

BE WELL
Old 03-05-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think a lot of folks here resist responding to your posts for fear of giving advice that may not help. Your past posts list a plethora of problems that many of us have had no exp. with . I also have social anxiety and mostly avoid people but being a hermit is no good either. Yes, meetings can be good practice. Keep your sharing in the context of "problems with alcohol or drugs' and you should be ok. Definitely getting out of your isolation would be worth it IMO.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

I think its a good idea going back DarkAsylum dont beat yourself over past things its in the past

your here today
Old 03-05-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

People in AA have seen a lot and it is an understanding group. Go back, as was said, you do not need to share if you don't feel like it. People probably saw that you were nervous so they will respect you more for making the effort. It's not easy to speak infront of a crowd specially about tough subjects so kuddos to you for doing it!!!

Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Earth Child

i think i will go back ...my husband says he think AA was helping me
i cant go to a meeting until Friday evening
Thank you all
Old 03-05-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

there are online meetings, not sure what time they are for you, but they exist

or listen to xa-speakers.org
Old 03-05-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for being one of us, DA.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
there are online meetings, not sure what time they are for you, but they exist

or listen to xa-speakers.org
You rock, sugarbear.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Speaking from experience--go back. I developed a type of agoraphobia/social anxiety--didn't get out much for several years. When working, I was an award winning speaker-- a couple of years ago, I had to give a 5 minute bio for my Rotary Club. I literally crumbled. My legs began shaking uncontrollably, and I began to cry. I was MORTIFIED. No.one.noticed. In fact, I had several people approach me afterwards wanting to know more about a special project I was involved in. I went back, and I am glad I did. It was LIFE CHANGING---It was acceptance. I am now the President Elect of this same group, and have my old self back. Go back to AA!!!! This is all part of the process!
Old 03-05-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Originally Posted by WritingFromLife View Post
Speaking from experience--go back. I developed a type of agoraphobia/social anxiety--didn't get out much for several years. When working, I was an award winning speaker-- a couple of years ago, I had to give a 5 minute bio for my Rotary Club. I literally crumbled. My legs began shaking uncontrollably, and I began to cry. I was MORTIFIED. No.one.noticed. In fact, I had several people approach me afterwards wanting to know more about a special project I was involved in. I went back, and I am glad I did. It was LIFE CHANGING---It was acceptance. I am now the President Elect of this same group, and have my old self back. Go back to AA!!!! This is all part of the process!
I want to be able to talk publicly i want to work with people who have mental health problems or addictions
but i need to be clean for a long time before i can do it i have to try and deal with my mental health problems and other problems first
its make take years but i have a goal and am going to work on it
Old 03-05-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Darkasylum you are awesome keep up the good work
Old 03-05-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

you don't have to speak, you can sit and listen for as long as you wish...

if you want to speak, start out slowly, you don't have to give a speech every time you speak, just say I'm glad I'm here today and feel good. Baby steps.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
totfit

You are likely the only one that feels that way or even remembers you said anything at all. We judge ourselves internally and magnify things way above what others perceive. It is part of our ego. Ego does not necessarily mean that we thing we are better, it is that because it is our stuff it is bigger. It is bigger to us. If you find AA helpful, then by all means you should go back. If you feel it does more harm than good, then don't.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by ThePhoenixFlames View Post
I want to be able to talk publicly i want to work with people who have mental health problems or addictions
but i need to be clean for a long time before i can do it i have to try and deal with my mental health problems and other problems first
its make take years but i have a goal and am going to work on it
These are wonderful goals to have. Just take things as they come and you will get to the point where you can go back to school and get the requirements you need. This will give you something specific to work for. If AA is helping you, then going back is a good idea, and remember, you will always find support here.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Go back. You'll be glad you did.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Thank you all ...as you see i have changed my username something more positive than my last name Tomorrow i have planning to go food shopping with my husband
But that means going into the drinks part of the shop where across from the juice there is alcoholic drinks Am going to try and ignore the fact that they are there and get on with my shopping also we have to top the car up then am not sure what we are doing until the AA meeting
I have to try and incorporate exercise into my day with all the biscuits at AA meetings am going to gain weight so i need to focus on healthy eating as well
Also am going to say prayers in the morning and last thing at night
there are prayer i found on line a few days ago Prayers like the Serenity prayer etc
Tomorrow its meant to be raining but maybe the sun will shine through