Notices

Hi

Old 03-04-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

I am 28 years old and have 2 kids.. run a Hotel my inlaws own and have an ebay store with over 1,600 items.. I have always over drank.. I have been addicted to drugs but stopped very quickly but I have recently found it really hard to kick my £600 a month alchol habbit.. I am drinking 20.4 units a day and really need some help I cant seem to help myself or stop buying alcohol.. really would love some input from you guys.. thanks
Old 03-04-2015, 02:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, MBCUK.

There is a lot of information on this site on alcoholism and addiction as well as on various methods and techniques than can be used to achieve and maintain recovery. Have a look around the site, read the sticky's at the top of each forum, and read the various threads.

Have you thought about making your home a safe-zone - by removing all alcohol and not replacing it?

Have you considered talking with your doctor about your drinking?

Glad you found SR.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi MBCUK,

Welcome to the site! (I'm 28 too)

There's lots of different options, but the first thing to do, and sorry if this sounds obvious or patronising, is to stop drinking

My best advice would be to get educating yourself on alcohol addiction and the methods there are to support you in staying stopped. The more you know the more armed you are against it
Old 03-04-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Write down everything that alcohol has given you and then write down everything it takes away. Now you see that alcohol is a gpdrug, a poison that depletes trust, respect and kindness. It gives nothing real...that confidence is faux because it isn't confidence but being too stupid to care about anything, and that fun you are having cant be remembered in the morning very well because your chemicals in your brain were pickled so ignorance is bliss, and that new way you saw the word or creative way you approached things were just pickled lapses in judgement and a few hours of non judgment from yourself. After you see this, and you know that alcohol makes you into a self loathing idiot, then you will get help and stay with recovery. Until then you keep getting closer and closer but you never quite get it though you pretend you do in order to get everyone who loves you "off your back."
Old 03-04-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

IMO you need to speak very honestly to a physician about the amount of alcohol you are consuming. The advice above, "first thing to do... is to stop drinking" is dangerous IMO. You are drinking quite a bit, and the withdrawal could hurt you. You need to consult a physician right away.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thankyou for your comments and you are totally right the best thing I could do is stop drinking.. but this doesnt seem to work for me... money isnt an issue and its all to easy for me to prchase it becuase the ship isless than 150 yards from me witch makes me pretty weak.. I also have this problem that im very strong minded and "believe" that counselling wouldn't help me and worry that a GP would push me towards counselling and I know I wouldn't benefit!
Old 03-04-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Welcome to the forum MBCUK! There are so many great experiences to learn from here on SR. Glad you are here.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well I will agree with awuh1 and saying get to a GP is a good idea, the GP won't necessarily refer you to counselling the first thing they would do is make sure you can stop drinking safely and make sure you are okay physically. From there, you have tonnes of options, counselling is only one of them, one of the many other options may benefit you more.

You know, deep down, that your drinking is causing you harm, and you have reached out and made a step towards ending it, which is great. It would be a good idea now to start thinking about what to do next.

Just make a GP appointment, it's easy and they are there to help. What have you got to lose by seeing a doctor?
Old 03-04-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

my pride.. I have a VERY good hotel that everyone knows about in the area because i also live on an island... what could be worse!
Old 03-04-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i feel like a fool.. but im in so much pain (emotionally, financially & inability due to dringing too much..)
Old 03-04-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes. Need to see a doctor or wean down a bit over the course of 7-10 days. I detoxed while drinking as much as you are now in a hospital with medication and it was still a very unpleasant experience. Dont fool around with this. You can die from alcohol withdrawl at the levels you're drinking.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Doctor's appointments are completely confidential MBCUK, and to answer your question of 'what could be worse' than losing your pride?

Well, in my experience, continuing to drink alcohol will take everything away from you, including your pride.

You reached out here for support and that's great, so what's next?
Old 03-04-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MBCUK View Post
i feel like a fool.. but im in so much pain (emotionally, financially & inability due to dringing too much..)
Believe me, I know how you feel. Many people on this forum do too.

Book yourself a doctor's appointment, pain is temporary and it can be fixed. But healing can only happen when you're sober
Old 03-04-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

is my drinking really that high? 20 units a day?.. Ive been thinking of seeing a GP but didn't really consider myself as an alcoholic until I experienced episodes of with I cant recall/remember
Old 03-04-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Anything over 100 units a week is considered a seizure risk in withdrawl. Honestly it can be dangerous.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I'm not sure where you live but here in the U.S. there are doctor patient confidentiality laws. What you say to a doctor is protected BY LAW and cannot be revealed without your written consent.

You need to take the first step to take care of this problem and that's the best one as it will protect your health. There's much more to do after that, but you should not fail to act due to fear. It would be better to be fearful of inaction.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Google it.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you MBCUK
Old 03-04-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Im in the UK its not so much the doctors... I need to see rhwem dont I.. I just cant hangle counsilling.. Im not that siort of persdon
Old 03-04-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The doctor is there to help you. It would be a very good idea to see them MBCUK.

I'm in the UK too. The GP service is fantastic. They don't judge, it's all confidential and they get you the help you need.