Notices

POLL: method that worked for you???

Old 03-04-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

POLL: method that worked for you???

Hi everyone,

I've just been reflecting on some things I have read here over the past few months and am wondering (for those of you with some solid sobriety time):

What program or method you used? (If any?)

How do you like it?

Are you happy?

Do you feel better physically & mentally?

Thanks so much! :-) Have a blessed day!
Old 03-04-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Serenidad.

I've used a lot of methods, and from the tools that are most commonly appreciated in addiction recovery none of them precisely as prescribed in their original form, I kinda tailored them to my needs as I perceived as helpful based on ongoing experience. So a bit of Rational Recovery, a bit of AA, lots of SR, therapy, exercise and meditation routine, reasonably good diet, and creating a new lifestyle (it's not something brand new to me, more like a new version of the lifestyle that I liked in the past and that I lived in my best periods of my existence).

Without doubt and hesitation, it's a huge difference in my well-being both physically and mentally, and I have been able to maintain sobriety so far (~13 months) without relapse.

I think that for some people (like me, for example) the best way is to create our own "program", and for others it's most effective to follow a program or programs quite precisely as instructed. Given your history (what I have seen via SR), my guess is that perhaps you could do with following an intensive program consistently with lots of external help, at least for a while? It just helps kick off the commitment and maintenance that seems hard in the beginning.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've had spells of sobriety over the years, some more successful than others. I've always found AVRT / Rational Recovery / SR / reading recovery books to be the most successful combination of things that has helped me stay sober. Vitamin therapy added in as well. Unfortunately I seem to let my guard down after some sober time has elapsed, but I am working on overcoming that in the future!
Old 03-04-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I didn't always use AA...but now I do. The overall quality of my sobriety is improving...I'm growing as a person. If I were you I'd go to AA, get a sponsor, and work the steps.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I have a personalized program, but the keystone of it is AVRT. The ability to separate myself from my addiction has been indispensable.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

For five years I saw an addiction counselor, besides coming to SR many times a day. I no longer see the counselor but still come here for support and camaraderie. It's been working for over five years now. I also lean heavily on gratitude. Every day I find things to be grateful for and it helps keep a positive attitude.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This site is amazing. I go to therapy, have a secular recovery support group and I also get support in another website called Hello Sunday Morning where you basically set up an account to change your relationship with alcohol...some are trying moderation but most as abstaining. I also journal, meditate, do yoga, exercise and am pursuing my dreams of being a mystery novelist again. Getting my mind on something creative helps me expend my energies. Most of all, I call myself a non drinker now and am honest that alcohol is a poison to me. I am learning how to become more positive and learning that loving myself means doing nice things for myself and pushing negative things like alcohol away.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ya**!

The Abraham Lincoln program:

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad... "

For me, alcohol was bad... hence, I no longer do it. Simple but I'm a simple mind.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

AVRT and SR.

Almost to 1yr. Yay!!!
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLife90 View Post
I didn't always use AA...but now I do. The overall quality of my sobriety is improving...I'm growing as a person. If I were you I'd go to AA, get a sponsor, and work the steps.
Yep, says it all for me too.
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi.
When I and many are left to our own devices we drink which is natural for alcoholics. I eventually got and stayed sober with the guidance of a lot of AA meetings and personal work with changes of the person I came in as. Back then there was no internet and my way was not working more than a day so. I surrendered to a great way of life I wouldn’t trade for any amount of alcohol or inducement to go back drinking as I know I don’t have another recovery!

BE WELL
Old 03-04-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
quat

I stumbled on SR through googling things associated with alcohol withdrawl and anxiety . I saw mention of RR/AVRT and read their material and it really resonated. I made my BP(Big Plan) and havent had a drink since.

Still looking around for the right screwdrivers to tighten some loose screws I have, but alcohol consumption has been separated and eliminated, I just needed to realize that I had the ability to make a BP , and I do, everyone does. I recommend trying , what's to lose?
Old 03-04-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've used AA in the past, was very involved and drank after 8 yrs. sober. This time around SR is enough human support, albeit limited. AVRT really clicked for me but Trimpey's stance on other methods is a bit strong. My wife and I quit together so we are our own best barometers for spiritual fitness. Our kids are our accountability. I still have a sponsor from the program and he still talks programmy but we get along fine with just life stuff. He's in bad health right now and I'm trying like hell to show him the joy of not smoking and he's trying to get me to his chiropractor so I guess we'll trade. I say use it all.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I've tried a lot of them. AA, AVRT, Family support, Smart, SR, self help books. Each one had a positive contribution. Now I use SR and my family as my main support. I liked it, I'm happy and definitely feel better mentally and physically.

I'm personally of the mindset that ANY of them will work if you put in the effort. "liking" the method is not always necessary, and no matter which one you choose there will be things that you don't like and things you dont' want to do. Just like anything worth having in life, sobriety requires hard work.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't use one official program, I've taken things from different programs and made my own, when something didn't work, I added something new and finally cracked it, something that keeps me Sober!!

I'm not sure if I'm happy or not, happiness wasn't the objective, Sobriety was the goal in all of that, and I got there, happiness for me is something that needs to be built on the foundation of Sobriety, and for me that's a longer term project, to build a life that I'm proud of and can look back on and be content.

On the last point, I do feel better, if didn't happen overnight, it took many many months before I could sit and say, I actually feel alright!!
Old 03-04-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
Yep, says it all for me too.
And that goes for me as well.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am still trying to figure out what the best "program or method" for me is. I am sober and am NOT going to drink no matter what but I am still a bit "lost".

I find sobriety lonely. I don't "love" AA but hate feeling alone more. When I say I feel lonely it's not because I don't have friends, family etc., it's because the only people that truly understand me are the people in AA.

That being said, I don't like many aspects of AA. I just need to figure out what is best for me. I don't want to just be sober...I want to be HAPPY too. What is the point of being sober if you aren't happy?

Thanks for your insight. Just trying to sort things out in this crazy head of mine!
Old 03-04-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This site--especially my monthly thread and the One Year and Under thread.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just lost a long post!
Old 03-04-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

SR, meditation, a genuine desire to have a different life, hobbies, recovery bios.
I started with AA, but don't go anymore because it just made me want to drink and seemed cultish at times.