Coda roll call!

Old 03-03-2015, 08:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coda roll call!

Is anyone else attending Coda meetings and/or working its steps?

I think I'm about to start!
Old 03-03-2015, 10:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nope. But I'm curious... let us know how it goes?
Old 03-04-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went to my first CODA meeting yesterday. I like the literature. This particular meeting was just so-so. I think I am going to try a couple of others.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's great DD! I've been to two meetings now, and have been reading...
Old 03-04-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We don't have any in my area, and after reading this excerpt, I'd like to check it out:

“I understand addiction now. I never did before, you know. How could a man (or a woman) do something so self-destructive, knowing that they’re hurting not only themselves, but the people they love? It seemed that it would be so incredibly easy for them to just not take that next drink. Just stop. It’s so simple, really. But as so often happens with me, my arrogance kept me from seeing the truth of the matter.
I see it now though.
Every day, I tell myself it will be the last. Every night, as I’m falling asleep in his bed, I tell myself that tomorrow I’ll book a flight to Paris, or Hawaii, or maybe New York. It doesn’t matter where I go, as long as it’s not here. I need to get away from Phoenix—away from him—before this goes even one step further.
And then he touches me again, and my convictions disappear like smoke in the wind.
This cannot end well. That’s the crux of the matter, Sweets. I’ve been down this road before—you know I have—and there’s only heartache at the end. There’s no happy ending waiting for me like there was for you and Matt. If I stay here with him, I will become restless and angry. It’s happening already, and I cannot stop it. I’m becoming bitter and terribly resentful. Before long, I will be intolerable, and eventually, he’ll leave me. But if I do what I have to do, what my very nature compels me to do, and move on, the end is no better. One way or another, he’ll be gone. Is it not wiser to end it now, Sweets, before it gets to that point? Is it not better to accept that this happiness I have is destined to self-destruct?
Tomorrow I will leave. Tomorrow I will stop delaying the inevitable. Tomorrow I will quit lying to myself, and to him.
Tomorrow.
What about today, you ask? Today it’s already too late. He’ll be home soon, and I have dinner on the stove, and wine chilling in the fridge. And he will smile at me when he comes through the door, and I will pretend like this fragile, dangerous thing we have created between us can last forever.
Just one last time, Sweets. Just one last fix. That’s all I need.
And that is why I now understand addiction.”
― Marie Sexton, Strawberries for Dessert

Seriously - it just hit it out of the park for me.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just looked and am shocked there is no meetings even in the large city closest to me.
Darn it.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pink - that is too bad! Can i suggest for you - and everyone! - the book I'm reading,

http://www.amazon.com/Codependents-G.../dp/0671762273

It has been an ENORMOUS help to me in terms of understanding CODA, learning self love, detaching from the emotions and reactions of others, etc.

We should add that to the book list too maybe?
Old 03-04-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am so tech savvy.

Here's an excerpt from that book - from the chapter about Step One.

Coda Step One MelBea Photos by old***** | Photobucket

Let me know if it doesn't work!
Old 03-04-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree, Seasaw! We read Step 3 from this book at my CODA meeting yesterday and the minute I came home, I ordered the book. Melody Beattie is truly a gift to us all!!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been going to CODA meetings since June of last year and I LOVE them. I just chaired a meeting last night.

I used to go to Al-anon but never felt it was quite a perfect fit for what I was dealing with in my life. With CODA, though, I knew I was in the right place the minute I walked in the door. My life has changed so much for the better than I can't even believe it sometimes.

I am in the middle of a Step Study right now, finishing up with 4 and heading to 5. It won't be easy but I am looking forward to see how healthy I can get and see how much better my life can be.

Maybe I am speaking from the pink cloud of a new convert but I really like where CODA is taking me