Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

the progressiveness of this disease has turned me into a monster!

Notices

the progressiveness of this disease has turned me into a monster!

Old 03-03-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation the progressiveness of this disease has turned me into a monster!

I'm not sure when the last time I posted on here was, but it's been a while. I have been drinking again now for quite some time. Last July I ended up in the hospital twice after a bad bout of drinking with mania and then depression.I did ok for a while again but lately I've been drinking a lot. It turned into a huge fiasco the other night, I have my whole entire family worried, I feel so ashamed. I used to be a very friendly drunk but now when I drink I get angry and scream and yell usually at my boyfriend who is typically with me when I drink. intern keen about with my sister 3 weeks ago turned into a fist fight!I have no choice but to stop this drinking for good, I need a lot of support because every time a week or so passes I think I'm going to be able to drink again responsibly. It's never going to happen!financial issues and related issues have really added to the stress in my life which in return has caused excessive drinking. Next tuesday I will be having money reconstruction did as I tore my acl completely apart, damaged my meniscus and MCL in a skiing accident.just thought I would check in and get back into trying to be a healthy person again and eliminating the alcohol from my life. Glad to be back!
Old 03-03-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

was supposed to say health-related not hell related.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back TooMutch.

I find myself in a similar position financially. Paranoid tbh about losing everything. I am still in a dangerous zone. I find I cannot go it alone and decided last week to try AA again. It was a good meeting for me, and I have decided as well as SR, AA is my only hope. I'm not trying to sell this to you, But could be worth giving this or something similar a try.

I wish you well.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Toomutch View Post
I'm not sure when the last time I posted on here was, but it's been a while.
It has been a while. Welcome back. You have had stretches of sobriety before. I hope you can attain it again.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would like to find another recovery group other than AAA. I've done as in the past and its just not for me.these posts probably aren't making a lot of sense I cannot correct my spelling errors. Obviously I meant AA.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back, toomutch. Nice to meet you.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back! Many of us got sober right here at SR - posting daily, listening and responding to others, etc. I'd recommend giving it a try and sticking around for a while and checking out all the threads. We do a "weekenders thread" that will appear on Thursday, it's meant to help out newcomers and veterans alike stay sober for the weekend. It's active, lively, and a lot of fun!
Old 03-03-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would like to find another recovery group other than AAA.
AAA is a great recovery tool! They recovered my car when it broke down on the expressway!

Just kidding... welcome back to SR
Old 03-03-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome back toomutch
hope you stick around for a bit!

LOL Art
Old 03-03-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This site is a great tool. And it's free
Old 03-03-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Toomutch,

There are lots of ways to recover. If you take a look around here you will see we follow many different paths. We're here to support you.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think you nailed it when you mention that alcoholism is progressive. It never gets better...only worse. Hopefully this can be your beginning of a healthy life; glad you are back!
Old 03-03-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's never going to happen!financial issues and related issues have really added to the stress in my life which in return has caused excessive drinking.
Welcome back Toomutch. Regarding your statement above, I think it might be an indicator of where the problem really lies. Stress and financial issues don't cause excessive drinking - alcoholism does. Stress is simply part of life and it will never go away, so you cannot "remove" it. How we deal with it is something we CAN control. Drinking is not a solution to any of our problems, and as you are finding it many times actually makes them worse. That's where the alcoholism comes into play - drinking excessively is not a normal reaction - it is an addictive response.

I was in the same situation as you for many years - I knew drinking was bad for me but i still kept doing it. I hoped and hoped that if i cut back, or quit for a while, i'd be able to control it again some day. But it never happens - and as you are finding it gets worse. The key for me was accepting the fact that I cannot ever drink again wihout negative consequences. There is no pill I can take, no treatment I can follow, no book I can read that will ever allow me to drink responsibly again - it simply IS. Once you can accept that you can begin to work on living your life, rather than fighting a battle you will never win.

Perhaps joining one of the daily or monthly threads here would be of help to get started?
Old 03-03-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Toomuch, Sorry you are having such a tough time. It surely is not easy to get sober and stay sober. If AA is not for you, give AVRT a try. Just google it and see what it is all about. I'm using AVRT...but also go to a couple AA meetings for that face to face reinforcement. I think this is working for me anyway. Best wishes.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Toomuch...I totally understand when you say that AA isn't for you. I went to over 90 meetings in 90 days while in rehab and it just didn't do anything for me. I just felt like I didn't fit in with most groups.

Have you seen a therapist about your drinking? Maybe they could help you out instead of AA.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! I hope you can stop drinking for good this time. You had five years once, I hope you can achieve it again.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I understand how finances can be stressful. I'm at 57 days or so and had to refinance my house to kill the fires I created drinking.

I have 2 solid years of sacrifice to dig out. But without drinking, I have a fighting chance. So can you, just make a plan for both sobriety and finances and stick to it, be stubborn about it.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome back Toomutch!!
Old 03-03-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

((((toomutch))))

I'm glad to see you! I know you can get the sobriety back, you did before and did well! Alcoholism is progressive, it always gets worse. I have seven years now!

Be kind to yourself. See your doctor and get your meds straightened out, you'll feel better soon. I know you're a lovely and loving person!

Love from Lenina
Old 03-03-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Toomutch

while I understand you may have misgivings about AA, things seem a littler out of control in your life - you need to do something.

Have you considered other meeting based options like SMART Recovery or LifeRing?

D