The Language of Letting Go, March 3

Old 03-03-2015, 01:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Language of Letting Go, March 3

MARCH 3

You are reading from the book "The Language of Letting Go."

Accepting Ourselves

While driving one day, a woman's attention focused on the license plate of the car ahead. The license read: B WHO UR. How can I? she thought. I don't know who I am!

Some of us may have felt confused when people encouraged us to be ourselves. How could we know ourselves, or be who we are, when, for years, many of us submerged ourselves in the needs of others?

We do have a self. We're discovering more about ourselves daily. We're learning were deserving of love.

We're learning to accept ourselves as we are for the present moment--to accept our feelings, thoughts, flaws, wants, needs, and desires. If our thoughts or feelings are confused, we accept that too.

To be who we are means we accept our past--our history--exactly as is.

To be ourselves means we are entitled to our opinions and beliefs for the present moment and subject to change. We accept our limitations and our strengths.

To be who we are means we accept our physical selves as well as our mental, emotional, and spiritual selves for now. Being who we are in recovery means we take that acceptance one step further. We can appreciate our history and ourselves.

Being whom we are, loving and accepting ourselves, is not a limiting attitude. Accepting and loving ourselves is how we enable growth and change.

Today, I will be who I am. If Im not yet certain who I am, I will affirm that I have a right to that exciting discovery.

©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.