It never ends...

Old 03-02-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It never ends...

Yesterday was so hard...

I worked and then after waiting in SF for husband to pick me up...1 1/2 hrs...was so cold took public transport home...and told it was my fault. Was stilled chilled when I got home at 7 after leaving work at 4. Between the two left in my household...husband and son (20--so is adult)--the selfishness and unwillingness and the lack of willingness to help me out with any of the finances...and a lot of other things...it is a personality pattern...I cracked with the stress.

Neighbors called police due to the argument; the good part is that when police came and talked to me...they told me that I have done too much for too long and it is clear that 'they' are not going to do more than take advantage (it is hard to admit this of my youngest child...but he has always been this way...anger issues...and the disrespect and siding with Dad (in the place where I am the only one paying the bills and working to get forward for the household--and I have learned to see the manipulation and so he is 'with Dad' which makes it very hard...it is like bullying (& yes, he was a bully to weaker and younger when younger)--gave him lots of learning disability therapy for his ADHD but now he charms those he can't bully and is passive with me...or tries to bully...it is heartbreaking. He thinks drinking is cool...because Dad has done it all Dad's life (since 16). I kicked him out when he came over last year and was drunk...I don't allow drinking or drugs in my home...haven't for many years...my Father drank in the home...and it ca

Police were an unexpected source of support (first time ever in my 60 year old life this has occurred) as they said it is clear that I am 'the most squared away person in the bunch and working to make things better and move forward'...suggested that 'they stay out of the apartment for the night' and they made arrangements with one of the 3 adult children I have in the town I raised them in...who turned me down the time I asked and have made it clear I am not welcome (I am adjusting...just a vent there). The officer was quite nice and told me that I need to be more 'selfish' about taking care of me...and as that is what the Doctor's have told me at my facility since June as well...and of course here...I love SR...I went to bed with kitty cat and slept very well.

They undertstood that it is hard to pay all the bills when there is no contribution from the 'roommates' as I would no longer call this a home...that left when husband forfeited the house in his business failure in 2009-2010--but apparently he had been failing for many years before that...just didn't tell me until it was too late.

Well, the 4 days work was good...now have to get another gig--turning all over to my higher power (god to me) and grateful to not be unbalanced from the stress (literally not able to walk straight) as much as last night. I have told my son that he can leave if he can't find his way clear to be a contributor...although I always paid for things...it was because I had a job and savings...and that is no longer the case.

Yesterday told husband that since he has chosen not to honor his agreements about what 'we' would do to get through all the financial failures and 'start over'...from 2010 and before...and that all the money is gone including the last 4 construction projects he did in Chile...he is either getting sued on or was reported for not paying taxes...that I simply can't 'do it' anymore...and that he is going back in a week and will stay for another month...has plans but will not share...and has another 'deal' going to which I am not privy (ok by me...it is time to cut the cord) and also that he has chosen to do this against my wishes, and totally different than every promise he had made before he went last April...I just cannot do it anymore...the policeman told me that I need to get his name off the lease...so will add that to the 'to do' list and pray it over to God for timing, etvc.

Life is complicated...so am just resting today...have an orientation for a consulting job on Thursday but had to ask my son to borrow car as husband got my car impounded (it was a beater...but it worked)...due to him driving with a suspended license and stealing a DMV sticker from a car to not get caught for registration...he is a life-long drinker...so I am just over it...it was stupid...car is gone and if son says no to loan...have more things to do...but so far...this morning...I have the car for a few errands and husband made it clear it is between son and myself. So I just asked politely and told him it was his choice, but that if the answer was no...I would need to talk to Landlord and to give notice...as there is not enough for all.

Living one minute, hour, day at a time...I am working to focus on the recovery and not the feelings of shame and guilt (which therapist told me were not necessary...and to just do what I need to do now). Right now, learning to post my time into the online timesheet.

Am not looking forward or back (too much) as it is too painful. We live in a smallish town...for CA--and have lived here for 28 years...the policeman respected that...it helped a lot. Crying this morning...but still walking and moving forward. I did call the police several times when daughter who used crystal meth was acting out...for 8 years...it was awful...they were good to me then as well...then Dad and older son (younger son was still in the 10 and under stage) 'hid' in the bedroom after insisting I call....they haven't changed just gotten worse.

Went back to a prayer posted in my steps work over a year ago...and read it. I hope that there is hope for me...and that working my program and continuing to work the steps will help...I can see have made steps...but in doing so...just seems like it gets worse and worse...and I am so tired of all the chaos and lack of healthy relationships with family. My mind wants to blame me...but I know that I am working this program and have been.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you are so strong iris!
Old 03-02-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It ends when we declare it over. I realized I had spent an embarrassing amount of time living in denial that things would improve, that there was something I could say or do that would make a difference. All the while life got slowly, steadily worse (a friend later said it was like I got in the elevator and pushed the down button.) The big shift happened after x number of Alanon meetings when I saw clearly the problem wasn't the alcoholic. It was me. Hey, I picked him and stayed.

It's all a process and change doesn't happen as quickly or easily as one wants. But we do change and today I know I'd never settle for another screwed up person.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You know, here's one sentence I never thought I'd ever say to anyone: "I'm glad the police came to your house last night."

But I am.

It seems you stumbled upon the same kind of good, solid, thoughtful law enforcement folks that I dealt with when I left my ex. They don't want to see people suffering like you are, and I'm glad they were respectful and gave you credit for the stability you have in yourself despite the mayhem that's surrounding you.

I'm glad you got a night to yourself. I think it's Iris time. You've given so much to your family for so long. It's time to take care of you. Someone posted this Irma Kurtz quote on Facebook today, and when I read your post, I had to look it up again. It said, Givers need to set limits, because takers rarely do.

I pray for wisdom and guidance for you. Strength, you already have in spades. Now use it for yourself. ((((hugs))))
Old 03-02-2015, 09:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I echo the sentiments that you are one very strong woman. You have battled so much, yet you have not collapsed under it all. You are an overcomer.
Sending you hugs and prayers.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Iris, I'm in awe of you. You have great strength even if you don't feel like it sometimes. Some of your post really resonated with me; I have a son that has bullied my in my own home for years. Hugs hon. What is the best thing for Iris; what would make you happiest and most peaceful? What do you have to do to get it?
I'm glad you're still working your program. You're doing good work for you. Hugs.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Can I make that police officer cookies? (((Hugs)))
Old 03-03-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Iris, I'm glad you got to see the situation at home through other peoples' eyes. It seems the more you give, the more is expected of you. Concentrate on your own life, finding your own place where at least if you pay the bills you are paying them for yourself. Frankly, your AH sounds like a waste of space and a wholly negative influence on your life.
You won't gain anything by arguing with these two. Make your plans to withdraw quietly and leave them to it.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm glad you got to see the situation at home through other peoples' eyes.
That. Because that's often what people like us need. Someone from the outside who comes in and sees what's going on and says, "No, Iris, you're not crazy. These people are users who are taking advantage of you to the max."

Or, as the friend said who triggered my decision to leave: "What you're living is with abuse. And you don't have to put up with it."
Old 03-03-2015, 07:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Iris, I send you huge hugs and have so much pride for you! I know it's all so hard, but you are truly getting stronger and stronger.

Tight, tight hugs my friend. XXX
Old 03-03-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Going into a conference call but I wanted to at least let you know that your poise & strength blow. me. away., Iris. Seriously, amazeballs.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your encouragement...I didn't feel strong...and give myself lots of grief (always have) but with my recovery program and particular through the past 2 years here...and back in therapy...and not letting my boundaries around minimum self care be pushed down by refusal to let me see a doctor to re-evaluate my meds & having to ask for every peso (when I went to Chile with him to 'start over' but it got worse), and now no money given (in Chile he took control of all property, money from property, jobs...after 38 years of a common acct)--and resumed drinking with all his friends...hate to say it but the stereotype of a latin male...but was impossible to ignore anymore and got worse...that was the part that scared and scares me...it gets worse.

Am so comforted to know that I am seen by others to be making progress...it doesn't feel like it but I get up every day and do what I am asked to do...and my meds re-eval from Nov on has kicked in...now just need to remember to not get so stressed as to forget to take the meds...that is self care...and after a bed day yesterday...will continue with my list of things that need to be addressed now...can't afford to move out...no where to go...job search is on-going...every day...and my program has to come first...realize that when it doesn't...even for a day...I go downhill.

You helped me a lot in opening up the thread today...it is proving hard to get a job...but not for lack of working on it...and that is self care as well...so don't lose the apartment if I can affect that.

Sending you all blessings...I needed support...however, have come to not expect much...or any...in almost all of my hard situations...I love my loved ones and didn't want them to suffer...unfortunately...in family of origin (except when Dad became sober after a massive stroke--yes, I helped mom and worked and took care of family; when he passed...mom cut me off immediately with my sister who I also took care of all my life--but that is in the past...thank you God).

Your support on this thread means so much more than my language can even express...my heart is filled with gratitude.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NWGRITS View Post
Can I make that police officer cookies? (((Hugs)))
Here, here!

One of the times I was with a few police officers and my AS one of them said to me "Mom, you're too gullible." It stung a bit at the moment but he was absolutely right!

There are jerky cops but good ones too. Thank goodness.

Kari