Notices

Step of Hope

Old 03-02-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Step of Hope

I am defiantly struggle with Step of hope in the 12 and 12 step book.

According to what I read about step 2: HOPE - means it is a big step towards God. In spite of all of the failures in my own life - all of the broken promises, hard feelings, disappointments, failures, destructive behavior, hatred, anxiety, depression or guilt in my life - there is still hope.

I have a long ways to figure this one out, cause I have a lot of demons that reminds me or make this against me ----
All of the broken promises,
Hard feelings,
Disappointments,
Failures,
Destructive behavior,
Hatred,
Anxiety,
Depression
Guilt in my life

All I want is to understand how I can let these goes, when all these emotions been inside me for a long time.

Can anyone tell me how you did it
Old 03-02-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Jen73 View Post
All I want is to understand how I can let these goes, when all these emotions been inside me for a long time.

I did it by focusing on today and the future. Break things down into as small/simple of steps as you can, even write them down if you have to. Slowly and surely you will see good accomplishments and behavior that is opposite of your past. Other people will see it too - believe me, they will.

And remember that not matter how hard you try, or not matter how much time you spend worrying, there is absolutely nothing you can do about what has happened in the past.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

At the core you are a good person. If today you were to die, do you really think your creator would bash you in the head for having experienced some struggles in your life?

Nope, he would welcome you with arms wide open. Do you think having the feelings you are having is what a loving father would want for you?

Love yourself now, as he loves you, unconditionally.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's impossible to work the process out before having taken it.

But that's just what everyone does.

"Hmmmmm, I'll read the book and the steps and work this all out before I go about doing it "

Just do it, put in the action, get the results.

The results are available for anyone willing to put in the action.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Worry is like a rocking chair.

It gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere.

We all have all that stuff on the list. All of us. It's how we react to them that is important.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think a lot of it comes down to forgiveness of yourself as well as others, and being present in your life.

One of the quotes I really like is, "if you keep looking back, you can never move forward". And this quote is definitely true. If you keep on thinking about everything you've done wrong or others have done wrong to you, you will never move beyond that and it will limit you since you're not concentrating on what you CAN do.

Once you can move past these feelings and stop using alcohol, there is nothing holding you back. You can accomplish anything you want to accomplish (within reason). This is where I find hope.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Red face Working the steps is a journey

Originally Posted by Jen73 View Post
I am defiantly struggle with Step of hope in the 12 and 12 step book.

According to what I read about step 2: HOPE - means it is a big step towards God. In spite of all of the failures in my own life - all of the broken promises, hard feelings, disappointments, failures, destructive behavior, hatred, anxiety, depression or guilt in my life - there is still hope.

I have a long ways to figure this one out, cause I have a lot of demons that reminds me... All I want is to understand how I can let these goes, when all these emotions been inside me for a long time.

There are many "sayings" in AA that are helpful here. Like - step one is the only step that you have to work perfectly. After that we practice the steps, redoing them over the years, and understanding gets better over time. Step 2 scares many newcomers because of the word God. I know it scared me. There's a saying about step 2. "First I came. Then I came to. Finally I came to believe". For me when I first came to AA I was still drunk. Maybe not physically, but mentally my mind was a mess. When i "came to" it was like finally waking up sober and clear headed. I didn't feel comfortable with the God thing, so it was suggested to me to have a god that was Good Orderly Direction, which was provided by AA and the 12 steps. There was hope that if I followed suggestions (going to meetings, get a sponsor, working the steps, help others) that my life would get better. Over time my concept of God changed to where I felt there is a higher power out there- that I don't understand. I believed and had faith in this "something" that was bigger than me. In step 3 I turned my will and my life over to this power. I didn't have to be perfect. I just had to try. Pray for guidance.

Step 4 is when you make a list of all your emotions and who it was against and why. Doing steps 4-7 attacks the issues you mentioned (anger, depression, guilt, failure, etc.). While I was on steps 1-3, I found it helpful to make a gratitude list every night. What things happened today that I was grateful for? This got me focused on positive things.

Finally I got a sponsor to help me with my journey through the steps. I have had several sponsors over the years and have learned something from each of them. I wish you the best in your journey to a better life.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity."

That power is not necessarly a religious figure unless you want it to be.

If we think about it we for a long time let alcohol lead us into insanity, so why not a belief that a higher power can lead us out if we are willing? Just think of so many things with far more power than we posses within Mother Natures Spirit.

BE WELL