Notices

Don't know where to start

Old 03-02-2015, 03:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Don't know where to start

I've made the decision (once again) to give up alcohol. I'm ashamed that this has happened to me, that I let it happen to me, and that I can't stop.

This is my first time seeking support so I'm hopeful this time it will last...but I don't know where to start. I Know I can go two days without any alcohol but on day 3 it's my usual back on it routine. I had a blowout last night so I know the shame will keep me from touching alcohol for the next day or two but I'm scared of Wednesday already. I don't where to start, what to do, or how to handle Wednesday when I know the guilt of last night will wear off and I'll think I can handle it.

I hate this cycle.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Cameron

the support here really helped me break that 3 day cycle. I know we can help you too

Post whenever you have something to say, ask, or especially if you need help

D
Old 03-02-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. Look around and read others posts. Lots of people going through the same thing. May help you feel better and help you get started on sobriety
Old 03-02-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

clearly, you know exactly where to start!!!

Welcome - you've made precisely the right move; admitted your problem and asked for help.

Well done!!

Old 03-02-2015, 03:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks so much. I'm hoping reading others success stories will give me the confidence to do this. I don't think I've hit rock bottom, (almost there) but I don't want to get there. Consumed with guilt....something I've never done....drank so much last night that I slept in this morn and kids missed school. So embarrassed and ashamed even typing that out.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cameron57 View Post
Thanks so much. I'm hoping reading others success stories will give me the confidence to do this. I don't think I've hit rock bottom, (almost there) but I don't want to get there. Consumed with guilt....something I've never done....drank so much last night that I slept in this morn and kids missed school. So embarrassed and ashamed even typing that out.
thing about rock bottom that not enough people understand is this; we can choose our own rock bottom.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just think this could be the last hangover and if the worst thing that ever happened from drinking is your kids missed one day of school that's not so bad. Just make a fresh start today
Old 03-02-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
thing about rock bottom that not enough people understand is this; we can choose our own rock bottom.

You are so right!
Old 03-02-2015, 03:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

On Wednesday, when I feel like drinking, I will ____________ instead.

Fill in the blank. You'll feel like drinking. Plan NOW to do something else. No one is going to pour it down your throat, and that feeling is survivable.

You can do this.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So grateful for the words of advice, thank you all. Here less than an hour and already feel like I might be able to do it with this support. It's refreshing being able to admit to someone other than my husband (also heavy drinker) that it's a problem. Feel like a weight has been lifted....almost like my dirty little secret I try to hide from everyone.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Cameron! You CAN do this. The day that I found this site was my last 'day one' .....and it can be for you too. I started forming a plan after my first post and it has developed over these last few months. Stay active on this site and join the class of March 2015....just jump in there and introduce yourself. Posting each morning on the 24 hour thread gets me off to a good start too. Also, it would be a great thing if your spouse would agree to no alcohol in the house.....removing that temptation helped me tremendously.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fromadistance View Post
Welcome Cameron! You CAN do this. The day that I found this site was my last 'day one' .....and it can be for you too. I started forming a plan after my first post and it has developed over these last few months. Stay active on this site and join the class of March 2015....just jump in there and introduce yourself. Posting each morning on the 24 hour thread gets me off to a good start too. Also, it would be a great thing if your spouse would agree to no alcohol in the house.....removing that temptation helped me tremendously.
Unfortunately that's something he is not willing to do. It has been discussed many many times. Thanks for the tip...off to find march2015.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi Cameron57, welcome to SR.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Cameron!!
Old 03-02-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Cameron,

you are very welcome here.

I never thought I'd be able to change, but I did and I'm never going back. Support from SR people was key.
I reckon you have started in exactly the right place!

Max
Old 03-02-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

welcome Cameron!!!