Notices

Realized something: drinking doesn't support what I want

Old 03-01-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Realized something: drinking doesn't support what I want

Besides hiking with the puppies and gardening, I've spent the weekend reading a great book, "The Sweet Spot: How to Find your Groove at Work and Home."

I'll admit: nothing in the book is earth-shatteringly new, but it is put together in a way that makes sense, focusing on how we can set up our life in such a way to support what we really want. And the title certainly drew me in, given that I often feel I'm out of balance, rather than in the "sweet spot," when it comes to work/life balance.

One of the observations that the author makes is that we cannot do it all, and we need to decide what is most important and spend 95% of our time doing that. For me, that is one of my biggest challenges, as I do try to do it all or drop what is most important to me when others ask me to do something for them. The author suggests that the best way to focus on what is most important is to create routines and micro-habits that make those goals our top priority. The more automated we can make them, the better. I realize for myself, I have three main goals this year:

1) Continue to work on improving my health (I recently lost 30 pounds and want to stay committed to my health goals).

2) Spend time with the people I love and feel supported by, and reduce the time I spend with those who I feel less good with. (Can't completely eliminate as some of these folks are family, but can keep that somewhat at a minimum).

3) Finish my current book project.

When I think of the habits and routines that will support these priorities, it is clear that alcohol doesn't support any of those goals. Obviously, if I want to make my health a focus, binge drinking shouldn't be part of it. But honestly, I lost weight binge drinking. But what I realize I'd like to do is do yoga or pilates every morning. Drinking won't be conducive to that, since to do that I need to wake up early. Also, since drinking makes me feel fuzzy,tired,and anxious, it isn't great for my writing. When I drink due to work anxiety it is a short fix. Tea and early to bed is certainly a better antidote for work stress. Nor do those who love me want or expect me to drink.

Not sure why, but thinking about it this way--what I want, and what I need to do (or not do) to support it--shifts the perspective a little vs. focusing on not drinking.

Day six is coming to a close soon. Off to bake bread
Old 03-01-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

this is great! i love how you're able to really identify so clearly what you do and don't want and see how to work towards that. you inspired me a bit on a tough day, so thank you.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I feel the same way! Focusing on other things that I want to get done helps not think about drinking and not drinking.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
leb

Thanks Matilda that's a really motivating post. Stay strong
Old 03-02-2015, 02:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

right on!

I've been using this mantra lately and have shared it in response to people's queries about my not drinking at times;

"Alcohol is incompatible with my preferred way of living".

And it really is....

Old 03-02-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good book and it might be a nice "lighter" read for me these days
Old 03-02-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Exactly!!! I wasn't being the person I want to be. That really pushes me to stay sober.

Great post!