Notices

A (one of many) great thing about AA & SR

Old 03-01-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A (one of many) great thing about AA & SR

I've been going to AA fairly regularly since late December 2014 and have learned a lot overall, but it's been in stages along the way.

One thing that has been said very frequently there, and also here on SR, is that alcohol is as much as symptom of an underlying issue as a cause of problems itself. For me it was both...I was using it as a medicine for my anxiety and general nervousness. It worked great for that for several years, but underneath it all, the anxiety was slowly building until the dam broke in October of last year. Alcohol was what caused these existing things to get worse.

While I've known this for a while, guess I've been having doubts...I had been of the mindset that once the drinking stopped, things would magically get better, even if it took some time. While time continues to be my friend, at almost 5 months sober, some serious reflection and soul-searching is needed to learn to better accept these emotions and be able to walk through them.

The comfort I've taken from AA and SR is that so many people have experienced this process. In fact I don't think anyone has said unequivocally that alcohol was the sole cause of their problems...most say it was at least in part the symptom.

I know not everyone's experience is exactly same, but I wanted to share this lightbulb moment that's recently happened!

Really do appreciate my buddies here on SR and those that I've met in AA!
Old 03-01-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I cried so much when I first embraced recovery. I had never dealt with traumatic experiences from my past. I drank to not deal with reality. Now I am getting better at accepting reality and focusing on things I can do to make my life better.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I believe that many have suffered anxiety, depression, loss, grief, tragedy and all sorts of pain without ever becoming addicts and alcoholics. For each of us that went down that particular rabbit hole, there are a thousand more, many in worse situations, who didn't. While it may be an explanation, I don't think that is an justification for my addiction.

Every issue I had while drinking either became possible for me to correct or manage, or disappeared entirely. For me, becoming sober made it possible for me to do things I never could while drinking. A lot of it had to do with achieving a degree of emotional maturity and pulling on a pair of big boy pants.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plure View Post

I know not everyone's experience is exactly same, but I wanted to share this lightbulb moment that's recently happened!

Really do appreciate my buddies here on SR and those that I've met in AA!

Hi.
Over the years these “light bulb” moments out of the blue continue to happen and for me was part of the learning experience of attending a lot of meetings. Many were “Oh, that’s what they mean” moments.

BE WELL
Old 03-01-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Congrats on that insight Plure. Many never get it.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with you that alcohol is often/usually the symptom. And, then we have to deal with the underlying behaviour. That was definitely the case for me. I was self-medicating depression/anxiety/insomnia and thought alcohol was the answer. Yikes!
Old 03-01-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post Plure!!