Notices

Differences in one month?

Old 03-01-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Differences in one month?

Hi all,

After a few days sober I start to think I have no problem and relapse. I need some encouragement, what improves in letīs say a month? After a week I sleep ok, I feel physically better but I am guessing more good things come with time? Could really use some stuff to look forward to..
Old 03-01-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I lost a lot of weight. I haven't said or written anything I regret. My skin looks amazing. I am definitely better at my job. I am getting my finances in good order. My anxiety is 75% better and is manageable now.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey I am back on day one but a year ago January I managed 30 days (longest I have ever gone without drink or drugs since I was 14) and I noticed the following results: More money, weight loss, better skin, feeling better with myself, better work performance, more alert and happier with myself BUT the negatives I had without drink/drugs were: Boredom from staying in at the weekends, loneliness as cut out social group as they will always lead to drink and drugs and anger at missing certain events such as friends birhdays etc.

I am hoping to get those good feelings back and work out a plan to deal with the bad feelings.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A lot of things change in a month, which is pretty exciting.
My hair got a lot softer, I lost the undereye circles, and the redness in my face lessened. I found I could eat a lot more and even with all the extra food, still lost weight. I also started to see more hair growth.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have now completed a month sober and I feel great. My relationship with my wife and son has improved greatly. I actually don't stay home as much since that is where I did most of my drinking. I am not afraid at getting a DUI since I am not drunk. My activity levels have increased and I just feel great. I do agree with you that it can be difficult over coming the boredom. You just need to find something to occupy your time. I have found sports to be a great welcome and reading is always a great get away.

Keep up the great work!
Old 03-01-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My favorite part of getting sober is not waking up hating myself and feeling like death warmed over.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Laura, I've had that same trigger as you. Last night, my AV was telling me that I'd gone 10 days and since I can do that, I'm clearly not an addict. Fortunately I was able to overcome that thought and not drink because every other time that's happened to me, it's just set in motion a pattern of more drinking, more dangerous behavior, more blackouts and more regrets.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Adventurer

It has been almost 2 months for me, my wife says my skin looks better. I have not lost any weight, since I stopped binge drinking I have been eating 3 meals a day. My blood pressure is a lot lower. My mind feels better and anxiety is calming down. Now I know 2 months from now there will be even more improvement so don't get discouraged. Why throw all the good improvements away chasing a buzz that will start the horrible cycle over and erase any good improvements.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My favorite thing about not drinking the night before is the great feeling that I have the next morning!
Old 03-01-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

health, in general, improves

life can improve, too!
Old 03-01-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm new here. How does chat work?
Old 03-01-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Joy returned after about a month.
I mean real joy.
Like a butterfly it came to land on my shoulder. I began to laugh, not a fake laugh, but that real and joyous laugh that comes with sobriety.

Isn't that worth staying sober for?
Old 03-01-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Each day has it's benefits in Sobriety, no hangover, more productive at work, not worrying about the things I did the previous night, my bank balance is healthier each week, and my body isn't being slowly pickled with alcohol!!

From Day 1 these things started happening!!
Old 03-01-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks, it really helps!! I too want joy and health!
Old 03-01-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Keep working for it Laura & it will happen for you
Old 03-01-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

As a lot of the guys have mentioned above, things can get a whole lot better after just 1 month, physical effects all but gone and mentally getting sharper, one of the main things for me was getting hobbies back on track after drinking got in the way and kinda took over my life to an extent, my golf is now back on track to where I was a few years back and I can now drive in the morning without doubting if I am fit to drive in the first place.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Laura

I think a lot of us come into recovery expecting instant, good, change. That's probably because we've had the immediate gratification of the bottle for so many years.

There are great benefits to recovery, but you might not see them in a month - you may not see them in 3 months - but you will see them

Today I love my life and I love who I am. Each day is a gift and I'm at peace.

I could never say that when I was drinking. Ever

D
Old 03-01-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks Laura for this post and for all of you who added to it. I started today, really wanting a month and almost lost it at about 9 am. Reading here really helps. Thank all of you!
Old 03-01-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm right at the month point, and I see a big difference. I feel like I have more control over my life and feel happier in general.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I could face myself in the mirror. Seriously