Notices

Volatile and Violently Vomiting...

Old 03-01-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Volatile and Violently Vomiting...

You know, it occurs to me that amongst other things that have not happened since I quit drinking over 14 months ago - I have not vomited. Not once.

It's really apalling how 'normal' it was at one time in my life to find myself regularly vomiting. Stricken with dry heaves. Puking in the dumpster, in the toilet, in sinks, trash cans, alleyways, the Seine river, off bridges, off cliffs, in the dirt, in the gutter.....

I haven't had so much as a bad cold in over 14 months. No flu, no terrible hangovers....

And not once have I tasted the horrible, cringing, nasty bitterness of body-wracking bile as I heaved from the poisoning effects of alcohol.

Yes - this is a kind of gross topic. But it's a real one. A very, very real one that I think many of us can relate to.

Today, I'm so grateful to be rid of the ME that used to see Volatile, Violent Vomiting as a routine part of life.....
Old 03-01-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Amen to that!
Old 03-01-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So glad that all of that is no longer a part of your existence. It is a little staggering 'to go back', isn't it, and recall the things we began to accept in order to keep the poison in our lives.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Haha...yes freeowl. I recall throwing up in tons of different places and have probably thrown up in many places that I don't remember because of blacking out.

It's funny because when I drank I never knew when I was sick, but now I know because alcohol is not messing with my insides.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Whaaaat? You mean people don't puke all the time?
Old 03-01-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Whaaaat? You mean people don't puke all the time?
I know.... WEIRD, right?
Old 03-01-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yup, the 6am guzzle was always done at the sink (the disposal/sprayer side) as I could never be sure if it would stay down. I'm still loving that trash day is about half the bags for lack of empties.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Add to the vomit list, all the poor souls who while passed out choked to death on their vomit.

BFTGOGGI

BE WELL
Old 03-01-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I never puked from a bridge....
Old 03-01-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
I never puked from a bridge....
So many bridges.....
Old 03-01-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh jeez - for me it was going to bed after hitting it hard in the evening and then waking up to a huge wave of nausea. After the first heaving session in the toilet I'd sit on the floor of the shower with it running while I'd try to focus as the room spun. After a while I would be able to close my eyes without getting a head rush that would send me heaving. I'd close my eyes until the next wave would build up and have me awake and heaving down the drain. Finally I'd pass out and wake up 3 hours later like a shrivelled prune before getting out and stumbling to bed. Sometimes this stuff is so terrible when you say it out loud that you can hardly believe it defined your life.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I know.... WEIRD, right?
It's like no one ever shat blood before, either.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Beside the vomiting and dry heaves, I don't miss waking up with a splitting headache and massive dehydration everyday.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oddly enough i never puked the morning after drinking, but i lost track of the number of times i puked and rallied just kept right on drinking. I hated puking because to me it was a waste of alcohol, don't miss those days at all.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Like many, I wondered if my drinking had truly gotten THAT bad. The extent to which I identify with this thread tells me that, yes, it had. "Normal" drinkers do not yack like I yacked. They don't dry heave like I dry heaved. If you are identifying with these symptoms and still wonder, then Houston, you have a problem.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I threw up last Sunday, after completing a 52 floor stairclimb competition in 7.5 minutes. I will probably hurl at some point next Sunday during my 170 floor climb. Before that, no more puking attributed to drinking since last May

Bunnez
Old 03-01-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
So many bridges.....
See! That's why alcoholics get a bad rep: going around puking from high up on unsuspecting passerby.
Seriously it was a good post and very on target. I only vomited a couple of times since I quit drinking: when I got the flu last years and when I had food poisoning a few months back.
I used to make myself vomit so I could drink more and not gain weight. Actually I have had so much practice with bulimic behaviors that I could to this day make myself vomit standing up by just flexing some of my muscles. When I hear of young bulimic women using tooth brush handles, their fingers or whatever to induce vomiting I still think: amateurs. I wonder if I should audition for "America's Got Talent" with that act
Sick stuff
Old 03-01-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yeap, don't miss any of that!!
Old 03-01-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

To lower the tone :
I am one of the lucky souls that have never vomited on alcohol.. It's probably made things worse as I've always thundered on till blackout

To redress the balance I have **** in the bed and urinated by someone else's head in their bedroom, a sweet girl who I would have liked to have seen more of
Old 03-01-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Fourth step looms