Notices

Back again

Old 02-28-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again

Hi,everyone! Been a couple weeks since I've stopped in. I've been drinking again,but not daily, blackout or even drinking to get drunk. A couple beers after work or with dinner if eating out(I no longer keep beer or anything at home). I've found a new therapist for my self and it's really been a blessing to find some peace through that outlet instead of numbing with a bottle of vodka. It's been about two weeks since I've been hungover or felt any withdraw symptoms. I've sworn off shots and hard liquor for good and really don't care to ever get "drunk" again. In the process of selling off one of my ventures and WILL be making my move to the beach in June! Not sure what I'm looking for by typing this out? Just stopping by to say hello and hope every one's doing well.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sugar77

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Not sure what I'm looking for by typing this out? Just stopping by to say hello and hope every one's doing well.
I think you do know... Looking for approval or validation re:moderating your drinking? I know that doesn't work, you know that doesn't work so how long are you going to give it? I've tried moderating 1000 times, so many times my brain doesn't even let me entertain the idea anymore. The only people moderating works for is "normal" people. Those lucky b*****ds that can enjoy a drink or two then leave it. It never escalates for them...

Anyway good luck with it, let us know how that goes for you. Sorry if any of this comes off as harsh, but I think you are in denial and just fooling yourself. I wish you the best
Old 02-28-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sugar77 View Post
I think you do know... Looking for approval or validation re:moderating your drinking? I know that doesn't work, you know that doesn't work so how long are you going to give it? I've tried moderating 1000 times, so many times my brain doesn't even let me entertain the idea anymore. The only people moderating works for is "normal" people. Those lucky b*****ds that can enjoy a drink or two then leave it. It never escalates for them...

Anyway good luck with it, let us know how that goes for you. Sorry if any of this comes off as harsh, but I think you are in denial and just fooling yourself. I wish you the best
Not harsh at all. That's why I come here is for the honesty from others who have "been there done that". Thanks for your reply and well wishes!
Old 02-28-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You may have had some initial "success" drinking moderately, but by doing so are you heading back towards the binge insanity and sickness you've posted about previously? I hope not. I cannot drink at all and won't take the chance, so I will never drink a single drink ever again and I find it liberating. Good luck. But take a few minutes to read your old threads once in a while ...
Old 02-28-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me I needed to part ways with alcohol on a permanent basis, I used to make deals with myself all the time, only beer, only wine, no liquor, don't drink past midnight, 2 Sober evenings a week, 1 Sober evening a week, only drink on weekends, the goal post continually kept shifting.

The reality was, I drank to get drunk, and good intentions faded and my drinking would spiral once again, maybe not on the first day but over a few weeks, things would get as bad as ever eventually.

The other thing was, it was soo time and energy consuming, my mind was obsessed with managing my drinking, it was very liberating to leave all of that behind!!
Old 02-28-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
You may have had some initial "success" drinking moderately, but by doing so are you heading back towards the binge insanity and sickness you've posted about previously? I hope not. I cannot drink at all and won't take the chance, so I will never drink a single drink ever again and I find it liberating. Good luck. But take a few minutes to read your old threads once in a while ...
True that! I just read through them.. I was,and obviously still can be, a MESS at any time! Glad I came back here today! Thanks!
Old 02-28-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
For me I needed to part ways with alcohol on a permanent basis, I used to make deals with myself all the time, only beer, only wine, no liquor, don't drink past midnight, 2 Sober evenings a week, 1 Sober evening a week, only drink on weekends, the goal post continually kept shifting.

The reality was, I drank to get drunk, and good intentions faded and my drinking would spiral once again, maybe not on the first day but over a few weeks, things would get as bad as ever eventually.

The other thing was, it was soo time and energy consuming, my mind was obsessed with managing my drinking, it was very liberating to leave all of that behind!!
I have found it mentally draining at times saying "no thanks" to that third beer or free shots. Obviously my AV kicks in and says "go ahead! What's one more?"
I can't wait to get out of this town! Not that my addiction won't be travelling with me,that guy already called shotgun.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
I have found it mentally draining at times saying "no thanks" to that third beer or free shots. Obviously my AV kicks in and says "go ahead! What's one more?"
That's exactly my point, being a "non drinker" nips all that in the bud, no more going to bars and being in those situations, no more mental energy spent, no more sitting at home looking at the clock thinking how many hours I have until I have to get up for work, how many more drinks I can fit in!!

Parting ways with alcohol on a permanent basis made my life a whole lot more straight forward and less stressful over all!!
Old 02-28-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

If you have an AV then i really suggest abstinance
Old 02-28-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
If you have an AV then i really suggest abstinance
Agreed. Was already planning on not drinking for the weekend. So there's already the "bargaining" phase. This is really like a breakup from a relationship. I've had a relationship with booze for years now. Guess it's divorce time! The #1 cure for moving on from a failed relationship is No Contact,after all!
Old 02-28-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've sworn off shots and hard liquor for good and really don't care to ever get "drunk" again.
that was me many times - never worked for long.

I really hope you decide to push again for abstinence DR

D
Old 02-28-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad you decided to come back DR. This is such a helpful place.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I'm guessing but I bet there are 100,000 posts on SR that say moderation does not work. As Clint Eastwood says, "Are you feeling lucky?"
Old 02-28-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I saw elsewhere you're smoking pot too, DR?

That may be another reason why you're finding it hard to fully quit. Both alcohol and pot hit me in the same part of my brain.

D