Near death experience, seeking help.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Near death experience, seeking help.

I would like to ask for a freethinking nonbeliever to help me overcome alcohol addiction by talking with me one on one.

I came rushing back from a black out last night to find myself puking all over myself in the shower, laying down. If I had been a little more drunk I could have aspirated.

I am ready and willing to give abstinence from alcohol a real shot.

I have to be open and honest in saying that I do plan to blaze and have a little bit of shrooms in the future because they are a completely different experience for me. I have to stop drinking forever starting right now though.

Thanks for reading and I hope you consider.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hello mudfall
I sincerely hope the best for you...but in MY experience..the 'non-believer' exclusion, and the plan to do a 'different' drug...may be the hindrances that exclude you from being able to get FREE.

If that all fails (and I sincerely hope you have all the success you are looking for) I would certainly talk with you. (It is a requirement of my Sobriety Program).

I have already said a prayer for you.
RDBplus3...Sober & FREE..and I KNOW you can be.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hello mudfall, I can relate to puking in the shower, unfortunately.

I believe you should give the 24 hour thread and class of FEBRUARY or MARCH (when it starts tomorrow) a try. These will connect you with a host of others trying to accomplish the same thing - sans drugs. I don't know what 'blaze' means. But my guess is it may be something that could get in the way of your sobriety. Why not just go for total sobriety? Try out not altering your mind for a while. It's really pretty cool once you get used to it.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-42-a.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-44-a.html

I didn't see the Feb 2015 updated. Start off the March 2015 thread tomorrow and be proactive. Make it work for you.
Limiting yourself to the secular forum might isolate you from people with good ideas and support. We need all the help we can get.

Last edited by LBrain; 02-28-2015 at 08:09 AM. Reason: added links
Old 02-28-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I think you will find a near universal opinion that complete sobriety is needed, including from weed, shrooms, and anything else. I know one person who has stayed sober for over 20 years while still smoking weed, but only one, and he still didn't smoke for years while first getting sober. You need to give your brain plenty of time to heal.

As for the approach I use, it is summarized here: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-my-home.html

I am happy to offer what feedback I can.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If there are none here like me, I'll do it myself and lead the way.

I'm not interested in straight edging and I'm an Atheist through and through. I'm interested in abstaining from alcohol, which if I remember correct, is the only requirement "a desire to stop drinking".

Vastly different experiences are C2H5OH and THC. Pot is demonized by a system that doesn't understand it. Also a person is capable of being addicted to one substance and not another.

I went a year and a half without drinking and it wasn't pot that turned me back but the self taught desire to booze and not dealing with my problems.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

You are looking for help to save your life, so you can continue to smoke pot safely and eat some shrooms now and again? I'm an atheist and not part of any deionizing system, I think you need to look at the importance self intoxication plays in your life.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Mudfall, you've quit drinking for a year and a half so you know you can do it. Just focus on gettin of the booze for the time being, we are all rootin for ya.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Please don't discount going to see a Doctor and telling them your honest story. There are also medical solutions that can be used for a multi-pronged approach to not drinking. It's working for me. PM me if you want. I am a staunch atheist if that matters.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi mudfall

I tried the not doing drug X thing and doing drug Y or Z.
Two things always happened.

Drug Y or Z became a new problem, or using drug Y or Z led me back to using drug X.

I used whatever I could find to keep running away from myself and my reality.

Recovery is a blast - it really is - and it makes me sad that you're gearing up to settle for second best.

I'm under no delusion that my experience, extensive tho it is, will change your mind or that you'll think this applies to you, but I needed to say it

D
Old 03-01-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Mf! You didn't say how frequent you drank but lying on the floor would put you in the "binge" category. Lotsa body stuff going on right now I'm sure. Fluids, check BP if you can (wal-mart or pharmacies have free machines). As for the fear, paranoia etc.-- normal. All of this will pass and that's when a plan is needed--for when we feel better. I'm gonna guess this isn't the first unrecognizable ceiling you woke up to. Think about that. "How did I get here" has an answer. Every time I drank against my firm resolve, it was preceded by a lot of seductive self-talk. We call that the AV here. Try reading "AVRT Explained" when you stop shaking and if that doesn't click try more posts by the many who "came to believe" there is an enemy and it is my own splitmind. Me? I think it's ok to smoke and trip mildly but have yet to find a reason to do so. Make sense? Best wishes on saving your ass. If you want to PM do it! I'm always here.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
Every time I drank against my firm resolve, it was preceded by a lot of seductive self-talk. We call that the AV here. Try reading "AVRT Explained" when you stop shaking and if that doesn't click try more posts by the many who "came to believe" there is an enemy and it is my own splitmind.
You really nailed it for me here.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi friend. Looks like you recognize you have a problem with alcohol. You stopped before , so you probably know what you need to do. I don't have an opinion on weed or mushrooms, neither were ever my issue. You might want to take a long hard look at why you feel the need to alter your state of consciousness with substances. Hell I alter mine with caffine so I'm not going to judge you. But seriously, I found that I have much more inner peace if I just stare naked into the face of reality. I lean into discomfort... Kind of like 'come on is that all you got' kind of thing. I can't imaging not living sober these days... Such a departure from how I spent most of my life.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

mudfall, maybe you're different, no one can say. But for me, there have been periods of addiction to weed, addiction to coke, and addiction to alcohol, as well as psychological addiction to work, racing, other things. Through most of it there was addiction to nicotine too. Alcohol was the one that did the most damage, and turned into a serious addiction in my 40's despite long periods in my 20's when I almost never drank and didn't do any other drugs either (I was a school addict at the time).

Maybe you can stop the problem drug forever but keep some others, I did that when I quit coke but kept the weed and alcohol. I did that when I later quit the weed but kept the alcohol. It can work. Helps if you're young, and I'm guessing you are. Or maybe you will find yourself led back to alcohol by use of the other drugs because that's the drug you really want. Or, maybe you'll make up for the lack of alcohol by creating problems out of the others. No one knows.

I don't believe in any "addictive personality", but I do believe in people running from problems and issues by use of drugs including alcohol, and if that's at the root of things for you then you will probably find that life is a lot better and happier if you stop the drugs and alcohol entirely and sort through your own issues.

Good luck! Sounds like you've quit alcohol before, so you're familiar with that path.