Notices

Could alcohol really have been holding me back that much?

Old 02-27-2015, 11:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have been 26 days sober, the longest I have been sober in over 4 years, and I feel really great!!

One of my drinking buddies calls me right now says he is craving a beer and was wondering if I was in. I told him that I stopped drinking. He laughs and says "I've heard. So it's true." I told him, yup. I told him that life was going really well for me right now. I told him that I didn't understand how it could be possible that alcohol has negatively affected my life that bad because without it I have been really blessed. I let him know that I decided to stop for 100 days but that the way life is going I may just continue this forever. I don't need it.

He let me know that if I ever wanted to hang out not drinking that he loves coffee and that we can meet up at a coffee shop or a bookstore. I was happy he didn't say, if you ever feel like drinking hit me up.

I am feeling blessed right now SR friends. I hope that you are all feeling blessed also. Especially to all the newbies!!

I was at day three and four and I didn't believe I would actually go through with quitting until I got past my second weekend. It was difficult but I stayed at home and kept myself busy. I am on day 26 and I still consider my a newbie compared to our peers that have more than a month and a year. Those months and years are great accomplishments but they all started with days like you and me! So let's take it one day at a time and move on with our lives
Old 02-27-2015, 11:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 26 sober days, GoesWithTheFlow; well done.

Nice post; glad to hear that you are enjoying sobriety.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your twenty six days! Great post. Things will keep improving too.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice! Keep going .
Old 02-28-2015, 01:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
leb

Congratulations and thanks for the positive and motivating post Stay strong
Old 02-28-2015, 03:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your positive experience.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Stand and Be True

Congrats on your sobriety!

I've found that alcohol holds us back in many different ways, from the very obvious to much more subtle ways that are only ever revealed after a certain period of sobriety. Of course everyone is different so I can't say what your experience will be like, but I'm sure the longer you stay sober the more you'll find how much you were being held back. Enjoy it!
Old 02-28-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Really enjoyed reading that GWTF congrats on 26 days
Old 02-28-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep doing what you are doing!
Old 02-28-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Now THAT is a friend!!!

Love it and so true, we all start with days.

Thanks for posting.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

This is such a great post! Thanks for sharing it!
Old 02-28-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
p***enger

Yes.

Congratulations on your sober time and your commitment! Don't quit being quit of the downer alcohol!
Old 02-28-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great post!
Old 02-28-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So proud of you.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well done Flow. great post & what a great friend... I could do with a friend like that!! Keep it up..
Old 02-28-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well done GWTF, really pleased for you and pleased that went well with your friend, regards
Old 02-28-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

well done gwtf,

one thing I have realized - for me anyways - is that I didn't know what I was missing by being drunk most of the time. It's only after some time sober when I started to see things clearly that I discovered how much of my time was really "wasted". And I didn't even care really.

Glad your friend was cool with you not drinking. Could be a bromance in the making.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

i admittedly have my own issues, but I am in a construction related field and drinking is a way of life with most. I feel very good when I meet with another contractor after hours and they always want to know if I want a beer or drink. I say no. I have bottles of water in my truck, and will gladly down a bottle of water while they drink a beer.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GoesWithTheFlow View Post
I have been 26 days sober, the longest I have been sober in over 4 years, and I feel really great!!

One of my drinking buddies calls me right now says he is craving a beer and was wondering if I was in. I told him that I stopped drinking. He laughs and says "I've heard. So it's true." I told him, yup. I told him that life was going really well for me right now. I told him that I didn't understand how it could be possible that alcohol has negatively affected my life that bad because without it I have been really blessed. I let him know that I decided to stop for 100 days but that the way life is going I may just continue this forever. I don't need it.

He let me know that if I ever wanted to hang out not drinking that he loves coffee and that we can meet up at a coffee shop or a bookstore. I was happy he didn't say, if you ever feel like drinking hit me up.

I am feeling blessed right now SR friends. I hope that you are all feeling blessed also. Especially to all the newbies!!

I was at day three and four and I didn't believe I would actually go through with quitting until I got past my second weekend. It was difficult but I stayed at home and kept myself busy. I am on day 26 and I still consider my a newbie compared to our peers that have more than a month and a year. Those months and years are great accomplishments but they all started with days like you and me! So let's take it one day at a time and move on with our lives
NO, It has not held you back at all! It just propelled you HERE! Think about it..
Old 02-28-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Now you have confirmation that he is a real friend and not just a drinking buddy.
Congrats on 26 days