Notices

I love Craig Beck

Old 02-27-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I love Craig Beck

Last year when I tried to get sober I purchased "alcohol lied to me" by Craig beck. I thought it would instantly sober me up. Especially his hypnosis. I obviously kept drinking while this beautiful British accent echoed in my head. I took him off my phone somewhere in the last year. This round of sobriety, and 5 months in, his reassuring voice is back. And it DOES help combined with AA and SR. I think his book has helped with my cravings...now...not in the beginning.
What methods of self help have you tried? How did they work for you?

Jennifer
Old 02-27-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've read so many books on sobriety but the thing about them, for me, was that they worked only as I was reading the books. Everything made sense as I was reading through them, but the problem was, I would read them at work (when I should be working, I guess), which was during the mornings and afternoons and Mondays and Tuesdays. I would get to the weekend and I may or may not drink. After I finish the book, the message faded away a bit and then I ended up drinking again. It's just my own personal experience, and maybe I should have focused more on keeping up with the message of the books.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I totally understand that. I read that book a year ago and am now sober 5 months. You do the math, lol! But the message is with me now. Those first months, I needed this and AA.

Jennifer
Old 02-27-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not drinking has worked well for me this time around. 9 months ago "AVRT Explained" by FS-57 in :Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information knocked a cog loose or something. Seriously, aside from logging on here, too much recoveryism just gets in the way of doing life for me. Any which way we can. Congrats on finding Yourway.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i really liked the craig beck book. have read it multiple times. although it may oversimplify a bit, i buy many of the ideas. it especially helped me in the beginning of this journey when i was so worried about "missing out". it helped give me a nudge into an honest assessment of the benefits i thought i was getting from drinking.

i also agree with his idea if the initial addictive process of drinking to excess. -at least the beginning stage.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Annattaboy says "not drinking has worked well for me this time around."

It made me think of all the times that I sat on my back deck last summer, with a beer and a cigarette, reading books on health or on quitting smoking. I've even sat out there swilling beer from my mason jar as I read the AA Big Book..

So, apparently, the very best thing for me was to quit drinking FIRST...huh...

I now use SR exclusively, although sometimes I find a reference on here that leads me to another web page. I value this website immensely.