Notices

Sharing Stories

Old 02-27-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sharing Stories

Hey folks!

Quick favor for those "not-quite Newcomers". I was sent a message by a bright, resolute individual who commented they can't stop drinking. I genuinely believe that anyone can stop- and am therefore reaching out to the group for some real life stories.

I wonder if some can share a quick summary of where they were- and where they are in hopes to encouraging others at the start of their journey. Kind of the 'If I can do it- anyone can!' exercise.

My story is pretty weak- but I'll begin.

I drank daily for five years, certainly more than was healthy. I did the 'different store thing', would drink pre/post going out so my consumption would appear 'normal', and woke up thinking about alcohol.

I ended up in the ED for a pretty major health issue that turned out to be unrelated to alcohol. On the way I promised my family (including 10 year old son) that I was going to stop- and I did. My reasons to become alcohol free suddenly became greater than the reasons to drink.

That was seven months ago. I went from being unable to imagine a life without alcohol- to being unable to imagine a life with it.

Thanks Folks!
Old 02-27-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

THAT is such an uplifting story and gives me hope for my AS. Thank you so much for sharing!
Old 02-27-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Can't share much here because I need to get out the door to work.

Short version:

I've been sober 561 days. For me, it was a commitment to taking alcohol off the table. That no matter what, it was no longer an option.

Thanks to SR, I have had a lot of support. I am active in my class and set aside an hour or two each week to attend the meetings.

I'm glad you put out the request, Ultramarathoner, and hope others chime in. This is a winnable battle.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cool story. Very inspiring.

I'm only a few days sober now, but I need to quit drinking. Enough is enough. I've been a very heavy drinker for the past 15 years and I'm afraid that if I don't quit, I will lose everything - my family, my home, my job, my self-respect, my money, everything. Although I've done some incredibly stupid things over the years, ranging from idiotic to flat out dangerous, I have somehow managed to still be in a relatively positive position in life. But I also know that this won't last as long as I keep on drinking. The fact is I am addicted to alcohol, my body and mind process and perceive alcohol differently than most other people. I have known this deep down for quite a long time, yet for some reason I have chosen to ignore this all important fact. But again, enough is enough, and I'm at the start of my sober journey.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sober 246 days.

Eternal party girl, binge, blackout and problem drinker since I was 19. Always the most drunk and idiotic at gatherings....Night in/night out, lunch/dinner with family or friends.....going to the cinema was a reason for me to drink.

At 32 daily drinking came in, 1-2 bottles of wine per night. Moved onto vodka, drinking anything I could.....drink driving, general self destruction.

8 months sober last week. Pregnant with first baby, move into new house with my loving and very supportive boyfriend next month. Being present everyday when i used to run from myself. Life is better than I could even have imagined.

Getting sober is well worth the hell you feel in the initial weeks/months. Aniexty/depression goes, self worth and confidence can return if your willing to work on yourself.

Give it a go.

Great post!

L x
Old 02-27-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I started drinking steadily at age 15. Every weekend. I started smoking weed, doing acid, ketamine, ecstacy, coke, mushrooms by the time I was 20. I quit all drugs for a year but kept drinking. I quit drinking for a year but kept drugging. By 25 I was doing meth (not knowing what it was). When I relized how bad it was I ran from it. I moved to a new state, got a job that drug tested and just drank. I would smoke and trip on weekends anyway. I had my daughter when I was 32. I stopped everything while pregnant. Then I started drinking and doing pain pills as soon as I came home from hospital. I drank daily up until last march. I wanted to become a reiki practitioner and had to stop for one week. I couldn't do it. I found SR. I could make it 2 days and that was it. I gave up on trying. I drank heavily up until this past September. I went two whole weeks and failed. September 28 is my sobriety date. And it is becoming easier everyday. I love my life already. I am even starting to enjoy myself. My self esteem is improving, my attitude and the quality of each day. I use craig beck, sober recovery, and AA. I keep my brain busy and make myself proud daily. I like to learn. If stuff doesn't go right I do a gratitude list. I should do one everyday for preventative measures, lol. I don't know how I am still alive. But I am and at this point I am thriving. I love it! It can be done.

Jennifer
Old 02-27-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh yes and the whole time I had a job and appeared to have a normal life

Jennifer
Old 02-27-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I used to have those same thoughts, because I'd have good intentions each morning, feeling hungover and then on the drive home from work I'd stop by the liquor store, as by then I'd have convinced myself to drink.

The key for me was to take action, nothing changes if nothing changes, I proved that to myself over and over for a long time, my mind was addicted to alcohol and so in isolation I'd continue to drink.

I instead needed to reach an acceptance that something had to change, and get a support network in place, for those times that my mind would try to convince me to drink, something to give me a second opinion on things, something to short circuit my own thoughts of drinking.

It can be done with the right plan in place and the necessary actions!!
Old 02-27-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I DID loose everything, and nearly my sanity and life along with it.
I started drinking at age fourteen. Got sick as a dog, but knew I had found my calling.
And drink I did. For the next almost forty years. And I was every kind of drunk there is. Moderated (Ha), moderated to me meant not getting falling down drunk.
Binger. Three, four days straight. Bottle on the nightstand for the morning.
Then everyday, with the late stage alcoholic's best friend--vodka. Hated the ****, but it was cheap and got me drunk faster than a twelve pack.

And whoa to those days of recovery between bouts. The overwhelming anxiety, fear and remorse. I once hid in a closet I was so freaked. Shaking, sweating and puking.
What ddi I learn from all this? Absolutely nothing.
It took help. Help from another alcoholic who understood. Then, a whole room full of alcoholics who understood. Yeah, I found AA.
I would drink again, but it was never the same. I felt guilty about it. A good kind of guilt, knowing those folks in church basements were ready for me even if I wasn't ready myself.
I was homeless, sleeping on friends couches. Sold or pawned everything I owned.
Finally I gave up and let my Higher Power take over. Those kind folks were still there in those rooms.

I could go on with this drunkologue, but I hope you get the gist of my drinking career. It was bad. Real bad.
It's been four years two months since alcohol crossed my lips. But, I'm still an alcoholic. I've been given a reprieve. All I have to do is not drink today. It adds up.
I've learned and grown as an adult should. Instead of being stuck in some miasma with a bottle with a nipple on it. I've learned there is life after alcohol. A good one and I love it.
So, that's a synapsis of me and alcohol. I'm lucky to be alive and the thing is, I know it.
Very, very fortunate. I quit while there was some life left in me. Some aren't s lucky.
This I know, too, because I've seen them die.
One little day. twenty four hours. I can manage that.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you ghost light. Very inspirational

Jennifer
Old 02-27-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the stories folks- and your willingness to spend the time to share them.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your stories. They are very inspirational.