The Language of Letting Go, Feb. 27

Old 02-26-2015, 11:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Language of Letting Go, Feb. 27

February 27

You are reading from the book "The Language of Letting Go

People Pleasers

Have you ever been around people pleasers? They tend to be displeasing. Being around someone who is turned inside out to please another is often irritating and anxiety producing.

People-pleasing is a behavior we may have adapted to survive in our family. We may not have been able to get the love and attention we deserved. We may not have been given permission to please ourselves, to trust ourselves, and to choose a course of action that demonstrated self-trust.

People pleasing can be overt or covert. We may run around fussing over others, chattering a mile a minute when what we are really saying is, "I hope I'm pleasing you." Or, we may be more covert, quietly going through life making important decisions based on pleasing others.

Taking other people's wants and needs into consideration is an important part of our relationships. We have responsibilities to friends and family and employers. We have a strong inner responsibility to be loving and caring. But, people pleasing backfires. Not only do others get annoyed with us, we often get annoyed when our efforts to please do not work as we planned. The most comfortable people to be around are those who are considerate of others but ultimately please themselves.

Help me, Higher Power, to work through my fears and begin to please myself.

©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
People-pleasing is a behavior we may have adapted to survive in our family. We may not have been able to get the love and attention we deserved. We may not have been given permission to please ourselves, to trust ourselves, and to choose a course of action that demonstrated self-trust.
This was me...

we may be more covert, quietly going through life making important decisions based on pleasing others.....we often get annoyed when our efforts to please do not work as we planned.
and this!

The most comfortable people to be around are those who are considerate of others but ultimately please themselves.
And, this is what I strive for. I am not there yet but it is better than it used to be