Notices

Alcoholic family member

Old 02-26-2015, 12:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic family member

I probably already know the answer to this, but I wondered if someone could offer advice in dealing with an alcoholic family member.

Is there anything that can be done to help them/stop them?

I have heard that the best thing to do with an active alcoholic is to "get out of the way of their rock bottom."

But am I really supposed to just step aside and let this person self-destruct? I have seen lots of articles about helping alcoholic loved ones, but most of those approach it from the perspective of a non-alcoholic trying to help an alcoholic.

What happens when are trying to get yourself sober and someone very close to you is still active in their addiction? This seems to present some unique challenges. I understand their plight better than a non-drinker would; but it's also likely more dangerous for me to be in close proximity to them.

I feel very lost right now. And very scared.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Lead by example. Get sober. Remain sober. Light the way for this person. And when they decide to get sober themselves, you can show them how.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here with us NightNDay........

My only experience is that I cannot change another overtly, but thru my actions - getting sober myself - this can start to be a light for someone close to us.

Please work on yourself and do everything you need to work your program. Someday those results may pay dividends in helping another....
Old 02-26-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have some experience with this, I'm trying to get sober and had a lot of great success with it, but unfortunatly had a few relapses

My father continues to drink, and whenever I offer advice he says that I have a different problem to him and we don't have the same 'pattern', and that it's not my problem to worry about him I should worry about myself etc, etc...

I think one of the hardest things is that you can hear the very same excuses you used to make in active addiction coming from the mouth of an addicted loved one. Gives you greater insight into the AV at least,

Definitly a good idea to continue in your sobriety, there's also the Friends and Families forum on here I'm sure some kind person will send the link to, I have figured out how to yet.

Well done staying sober and you're compassionate to want to reach out and help this person.