Notices

Grocery Store

Old 02-25-2015, 10:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Grocery Store

Have you ever ....

Returned to your regular store sober and go through self check out only to realize the clerk is waiting for you to ring up your alcohol so that he can bypass your ID check? Only to see him completely bewildered when you don't actually buy alcohol.

Makes you think when you realize you've been a regular to the point that the clerk is anticipating the ID bypass.

8 Days!

Old 02-25-2015, 10:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Been there.., sadly
Old 02-25-2015, 10:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

no, but I did jump from store to store because if i was going to much to one they would give me the awkward look so i had to spread the love, lol!

I did have a local attendant once ask "no beer huh" and I told her i gave up the circus, she smugged. I saw her the other day and she asked "how are you doing" and i knew it was a genuine and hopeful question about drinking w/o saying it out right! There are some who were concerned and you never knew it!

ryan
Old 02-25-2015, 10:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Very, very similar - I've had the lady in the checkout ask me if I'd forgotten my wine (accompanied by a knowing look).

I think if I was to try and buy wine now she'd question me about whether I really want it !
Old 02-25-2015, 10:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I almost felt like telling him "If you ever see me with it again, don't sell it to me" .. but I decided to just say "Have a good night!" and walk on.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes. I stopped to buy only cigarettes where I used to buy cigarettes and beer. The clerk rang me up and asked "no beer?" No, no beer. And he only asked it the one time.

We are all mostly creatures of habit and that's a habit I'm glad to have broken.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 60andbeyond View Post
I almost felt like telling him "If you ever see me with it again, don't sell it to me" .. but I decided to just say "Have a good night!" and walk on.
I did that! You just go to another store...AV is smarter than that! Good intention tho : ) \\ry\\
Old 02-26-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I used to store hop too, to avoid this situation.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I once tried to buy alcohol while intoxicated and refused because I stank of alcohol and was swaying on my feet. At the time I thought she was being unreasonable and muttered as I walked off.

But now I realise she showed real courage to refuse that sale, seeing how unpredictable drunks can be, I was in the wrong and she was in the right.

If I saw her again i'd thank her
Old 02-26-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hahaha. Yup. I was on a first name basis with the cashier dude at the liquor store.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just before I gave up (in fact it was Superbowl Sunday so it WAS my last day drinking) I decided to go to a different shop - turned out to be a branch of the one I usually went to and my normal cashier was doing a shift there.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah, there's no shortage of liquor stores in NYC, so during my bad phases, I'll mix it up between different stores so that no place sees me twice in a week.

I also usually just buy in small quantities (pint) since it seemed like that was more in control. Always hated when I went to one of the two places closest to me and the guy anticipated my order.

I actually just went through my last few months of credit card bills and could easily see things spiraling out of control, starting in October. My statement for feb 19th (the day I got sober), has 8 charges for booze at 5 different stores. And in three of those cases, I bought more than a pint (one fifth and two handles).

Considering I was out at some bars too, that's just a scary amount of booze to have bought.

My current credit card charges on my month-to-date statement look so much better! One trip to the grocery store, ordered in twice, then just lots of stops at take-out places. I need to start eating better, but nice not seeing 5 friggen liquor stores on there.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I used to ensure that I mixed it up with the shops that I was buying from. There were times that I'd drive a fair distance over town in order to go to a shop that I hadn't been to in 2 days. I was always so fearful of being judged as the guy who buys all the beer...I should have been more concerned about the fact that I WAS the guy who buys all the beer and was the guy drinking it too!

I really enjoy going back to these stores and walking out without any beer - it's a strange empowering feeling!