The Movie Whiplash

Old 02-25-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Movie Whiplash

Wow! If any movie perked up my Codie Senses lately, it was this one. Has anyone seen it? The abuser in this film is a teacher/coach and so completely over-the-top, that almost anyone, no matter how damaged, would say that this guy was a complete nut job. That being said, I felt the codie part of me wanting to like the teacher; wanting to believe that he really loved his students and was just passionate about bringing their talents to top fruition. While my parents and/or teachers in my life were never abusive to this level, I grew up being taught that toughness was necessary for success and coddling did nothing for you. I am still thinking about this movie and my confusing feelings about it. I would love to hear others' feedback, particularly those of you who grew up in dysfunctional backgrounds.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I haven't seen Whiplash but it is on my to be watched list.

My mom was hard on me about being "tough" and not crying or not stopping when I had the wind knocked out of me when I played soccer as a kid (lest I made her look bad). It made me a super, super, super aggressive player. My coaches on the other hand (all male) were always very kind and supportive towards me.

50 Shades of Grey, on the other hand, actually makes my inner codie go nuts. The soundtrack for 50 Shades is a bunch of codie songs too.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't seen the movie, and my childhood was never harsh or abusive, but this rings very familiar:

I grew up being taught that toughness was necessary for success and coddling did nothing for you.
I've been able to understand the way I was raised ("what you're feeling doesn't matter; regardless of how you're feeling, you just do what needs to be done") was a necessary attitude for survival for my grandparents, and my parents simply passed along what they had been taught. I never questioned it and pretty much raised MY kids the same way -- which of course in combination with an AH meant they're now struggling to learn to even FEEL their emotions...

I don't know if that relates at all to what you're talking about, but now I'm curious to see the movie!
Old 02-26-2015, 10:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes I've seen it. The band director is a narcissistic, manipulative sadist. It is an interesting film and worth seeing but the message I thought was being delivered - that his methods were justified, in the end - could not be more wrong.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I could not watch it... the teacher was too wretched, mean, psycho, etc. Belittling and abusing his students... nope...Nothing justifies that type of behavior. NOTHING!!!