Notices

Acupuncture

Old 02-25-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Acupuncture

Just curious if any of you has integrated acupuncture in their recovery program and what their experience has been like?

Thank you
Old 02-25-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I went once and it didn't seem to do much for me. Although my plan at the time was "don't drink" as opposed to incorporating acupuncture into a whole thought out plan. Sadly, it isn't a magic wand. Someone else may have had more success but for me, it wasn't worth the money.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by deadlydame View Post
Just curious if any of you has integrated acupuncture in their recovery program and what their experience has been like?

Thank you
I think if it worked for keeping people sober, I would see posts where people are recommending it as part of one's recovery. But all I see posted are questions about its efficacy. So I'm going to guess that acupuncture, much like hypnotism, sounds like it sound work, but isn't that helpful.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Sadly, it isn't a magic wand. Someone else may have had more success but for me, it wasn't worth the money.
If you read my post, I was not referring to as if magic wand but as a tool in a recovery program. I started a series of sessions today myself.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience - let us know how you get on

D
Old 02-25-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I have no experience - let us know how you get on

D
Absolutely
Old 02-25-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It has been proven to help. Help being the operative word. By itself, it's just sticking needles in your ears. With a solid recovery plan in place it is very beneficial.
Good luck.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are right in thinking I didn't read your OP as closely as I should have. I'm sorry because I didn't mean to come across as a jerk. I filtered it through my own hopes at the time I did it which was desperately hoping it would make it go away. I am interested in reading how it works.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
You are right in thinking I didn't read your OP as closely as I should have. I'm sorry because I didn't mean to come across as a jerk. I filtered it through my own hopes at the time I did it which was desperately hoping it would make it go away. I am interested in reading how it works.
i will definitely keep you guys posted
Old 02-25-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Into the Void

I have read in sources that I trust that acupuncture has zero basis in science and is only effective as a placebo, although that can be pretty effective. If you think something will work, if often does.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deadlydame View Post

Thank you
I'm from the F&F side but your thread title caught my attention. I used acupuncture over a period of 2 years to help my recovery in codependency & because my physical body was a wreck after the years of internalizing all that I had been dealing with with my alcoholic husband. It was one of MANY tools I utilized.

A series of appts is great because it is definitely not a one-time adjustment where things just pop back into place. I had a lot of issues to address but it was like peeling an onion, one layer at a time. Each solution brought me to my next problem, lol.

It is a great tool for anyone for any reason, IMO, when used properly & administered by a trained professional. While I did use supplements at times during my therapy, the goal was to be 100% supplement free so I didn't take anything for longer than needed & am now off of everything altogether. HTH & good luck!