Notices

Enough is enough

Old 02-25-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Enough is enough

I am currently working on quitting alcohol and am using this forum as support. Currently I have no quit drinking but I plan on quitting this evening. If anyone could offer tips, suggestions, or support I would greatly appreciate it. I am currently on days off from work which tend to be easy as they are stress free but I know that when I go back to work I will be stressed which will more than likely cause strong cravings. My goal is to check in daily to apply accountability to my experience as well as use any advise given to me. I am glad to be a part of this community and pray that it provides me the support and me the courage to continue moving forward through the path of recovery.

Very Respectfully,
Alex Dion
Old 02-25-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR Alex!
Old 02-25-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

:)

Thanks sense, I am glad to be here.. finally!
Old 02-25-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Alex!!
Old 02-25-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

If work stress is a trigger, perhaps finding some coping tricks can help you. Exercise after work for example.

Best wishes!
Old 02-25-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

You have any hobbies? That helps me to focus on my hobbies then my addictions.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Knowing that work is going to be stressful and that it is a trigger to drink makes it a little easier to combat the cravings. Think about what stuff at work is the hardest and what you can do to either change it or deal with it.

There are parts of my job that I can't stand but have to accept if I want to continue my employment. The serenity prayer helps a lot. Keep posting! Checking in here helps me too.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I agree with the previous posters who wrote about exercise and hobbies. Wanna drink? You may not knowing you're going to have to deadlift, squat, run etc. tomorrow.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I'm glad you joined us.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Breaking habits has been keen for me.

I walk past seven booze shops on my way home, and I chew soy chocolate (I'm vegan) the entire way. It's stopped me buying alcohol numerous times.
When I get home, I have a snack straightaway to get rid of that post-work craving.

It's about making new routines and not feeling restricted. I felt like I couldn't do certain things in super early sobriety, but actually forming new habits has been amazing for me.

With the stress, download the Headspace app. It's just 10 minutes a day and is incredible.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Alex
Old 02-25-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Flexhoy, it sounds like you have the perfect time to quit as you don't have to work for a few days. I would recommend doing what others here speak about and that is create a plan, however simple or complex, but have one. Devour as much information and advice from this site as you can get. Best of luck to you.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you Alex. You've made a wonderful decision - and you found a great place for encouragement.

When I came here I'd been drinking all day. I couldn't imagine my life without it, even though it was bringing me nothing but misery. Reading and posting here really helped with the anxiety. We all understand what you're going through, and want to help. The first few days are uncomfortable, but once it's out of your system you can begin to heal.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I want to thank you all for the feedback and warm welcome. Tonight was challenging but tomorrow will be far more difficult as the withdrawals take effect. That being said I am going to have a plan made in the morning and will be taking this hours at a time. Quitting one moment at a time will help me not be overwhelmed by scary thoughts of "I can never drink again!?". I will be checking in again tomorrow and God willing every day of my recovery. I will also start that model car I've been putting off for quite some time to replace the hole in my day without a bottle. Honesty is everything with me and I am very happy that I found a safe place full of honest people. I want each and every one of you to know you can expect the same of me.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome we are neighbors! Read and post and you will find lots of support.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Today

Today was not an overly challenging day. Spent the majority ofit hanging with family and enjoying their company. Now comes the time in the day I usually start drinking. I did not make a plan to map out and guide me through the cravings as I said I would and because of this I am half a beer down day 1. I tell myself it is because I didn't make the list, and because I will drink less tonight. The fact is that the plan, while not completed, feels like a cop out. The drinking less notion is probably the trickery of alcohol speaking to me. Any thoughts? I suppose the night is still young and I'll have to see how it turns out..
Old 02-26-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Please consider pouring out what you are drinking and get rid of the rest.

Why not use this time to work on a plan instead.

Rooting for you.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Having it in the house is probably a poor idea.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Pour the drink away now make that step and if you want to you could try AA
welcome
Old 02-26-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have dumped the remainder of the beer and 12 pack. I told my wife my in tensions and she supported my decision. It was quite emotional to get rid of all the alcohol in the house but I'm sure this time will be enough. I feel in my heart that this was the end. For better or worse.