Notices

Hello

Old 02-25-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Hello

Hi, I am a newcomer. My poison of choice is wine. I stopped drinking last fall and had three wonderful months of sobriety. Last month, however, I started drinking again after a business trip to Las Vegas. The funny part is that I started back AFTER the trip (didn't touch a drop during it). How insane is that?! LOL.

The day I started back, I remember thinking "I'm just going to have a glass of wine. I can handle it." Nope - I drank a whole bottle (my normal amount) in under 2 hours. I managed to go a week without drinking again, thinking it was a one time thing. Nope - the following week I started drinking again every other day. (It's only every other day because I get terrifying hangovers that require a day to recover from.)

I do not want to return to the land of hangovers, lost productivity, and shame, or go back to hiding bottles from my husband and lying about how crappy I feel. So I'm starting over with the knowledge that's there's no "handling" it. Wine is not my friend, has never been my friend - like I used to think it was. I've never been on a forum. I decided to try it though because I know that I need some type of support/outlet. Online works better with my schedule, plus I'm shy and not sure I could handle in person meetings.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I just meant to say hi, but all this came out. If anyone has a recommendation on a recovery book or workbook, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm glad you've decided to stop and to seek a recovery community. Welcome!
Old 02-25-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Bluemagnolia!!
Old 02-25-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Bluemagnolia, I recently joined this site as well. You will find an endless amount of support and great information. Welcome and best of luck to you.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. I'm new too my choice of drink was also wine.

I have only been on this forum since this morning but I've found lots of useful and helpful information.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome. SR is a wonderful site.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, bluemagnolia; glad you found us. Wine was my poison, also; the good news is that it is possible to leave wine and alcohol behind and lead a happy and fulfilling life without them.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
The good news is you never have to go back to the routine of drinking.
I know all so well what a slippery slope it is to fall into. I've done it a hundred times. Including a day off to recover.
It wasn't long, though, before the binges got closer and closer together and the recovery days fewer and fewer. I was drinking for three or four days straight.
It was a miserable existence, needless to say.
Alcoholism is chronic and progressive, so it's great that you're realizing that things may be getting out of control.

For me, there is no such thing as moderation. I was a drunk and my life centered around drinking. It got bad.
The good news is, you can stop. Many of us here have. It took for me to get help. I couldn't do it alone. There are programs of recovery that save lives.
Coming here and admitting you may have a problem is a big step.
You'll find lots of support here, so read and post away.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bluemagnolia - welcome

D
Old 02-25-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi there. COD is also wine. I stopped for a few months in 2011-2012 and then just started again as I was "only going to drink on weekends". Fast forward to this fall drinking wine every night and vodka that was hidden in the basement. For the love of Pete my kids could have found it!!! Anyway - glad you came here. Just wanted to share so that you know you're not alone.

I can't ever have 1 drink -