Notices

exercise

Old 02-25-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

exercise

When should a person start exercising after quitting alcohol. Should u wait until detox passes? Im on day 3 but tired..
Old 02-25-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was always doing some form of exercise, so I think it depends on how you feel. Ease into it. A new routine is great to replace a bad one and although you are tired, you might find it energizes you.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Hi Toni I would go with how u feel. Exercise is good for ur mood and physical being. Depends on how bad ur withdrawals and if ur taking plenty of fluids and I guess not any meds but all it could do is be good for u I guess that's my take on it x

Good luck and well done on day 3 x
Old 02-25-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I try as hard as I can to get out and walk every day. We human beings were made to walk! A few years ago, I had worked off 40 pounds and was in really good shape. I've let myself slip over the last year. I gotta get back into it. I sure felt great when I was in shape.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Even walking at a fast pace helps Hang in there!
Old 02-25-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Tobin77, there is a gentlemen on these boards that may be able to give you some incite to that, I believe his handle is ZJB or something similar. Its only 3 letters.

Anyway, I am working through some of my own issues but my exercise regimen is my #1 priority at this point. I've exercised while in (mild) withdrawal, it is difficult but for me it helps me psychologically by making me feel I've done something productive. Plus it helps with my appetite. The key for me is to be able to get a couple workouts in and then continue to stay away from the alcohol! If you are concerned about it, seek medical advice first. Great job on day 3, probably over the worst of it at this point.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I say go for it, but be mindful of being one of those people who starts off like a maniac and burns out. Slow and steady and regardless of what you're doing, (lifting weights, running, swimming, yoga, cycling, etc.) be mindful of your form. You'll be using your muscles more effectively and reducing the odds of injury. Lastly, don't be concerned if for two days after your first exercise session you feel sore. It natural and it's not to be confused with injury.

Congrats on day 3.