Notices

Not in a good place

Old 02-24-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not in a good place

Been sober 7 weeks now after 13 years in addiction. Been through countless detoxes, rehab, programs etc. Lost everything through alcohol although I am in a stable place now the most settled I've been so why am I constantly thinking about alcohol? I despise the stuff after the damage it has caused I know if o could get away with it id most probably drink and its scaring the **** outta me never mind how ashamed I feel for thinking this way. There has been no trigger, I'm so confused and embarrassed to admit it.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. I have gone through a similar experience, and close to losing everything now. Determined to try AA, as I feel it's my only option now.

It's normal to get cravings after that lenth of time drinking, This is a good site to keep active on. And if you can get additional help.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No need to feel embarrassed, Me63. Our alcoholic behaviors have been stamped on our psyches. We can, however, etch sobriety upon our hearts and souls.

Have you been truly 'embracing' sobriety? I ask because for a long time, I was simply white-knuckling it. I neither had, nor had the time for, support in early times. I feel that I was given a Grace of God moment when I decided that I would accept each sober day with gratitude and embrace each sober moment; it changed my attitude and I could begin to 'feel' a change.

do you have any support, Me?
Old 02-24-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi ME63,

I quit about the same time as you - I'm on about 7 and a half weeks

It is hard isn't it. I'm 54 and I don't reckon I have too many "day 1's left in me.
I have tried to keep as busy as possible so as not to give myself time to dwell on it

Incidentley ME there is a thread for people who quit in January '15, there are some really inspiring people on there (they're are a lot better than me).
Be glad to see you there

Hope we both feel better soon
Old 02-24-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One of the things I have had to really work on is what I am feeling when craving alcohol and why I am feeling that way. Many times by working through that, it will help give a voice as to why you are wanting to drink. Some of it is habit, but for many of us, emotions and thoughts can be very powerful and are a major contributing factor. Just recognizing those thought patterns and emotions can be very helpful.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Me63 View Post
...why am I constantly thinking about alcohol? I despise the stuff after the damage it has caused I know if o could get away with it id most probably drink and its scaring the **** outta me never mind how ashamed I feel for thinking this way. There has been no trigger...
It's called addiction.

It was really hard for me to grasp the fact that I could simultaneously want sobriety and want alcohol. I would commit to giving it up and then a few days later I would want a drink so bad it hurt. Then there was this battle raging in my head between wanting to drink and not wanting to drink. I seriously thought I might be going insane.

The rational thought to stay sober and the irrational impulse to drink come from different parts of the brain. The compulsion to drink arises from a part of the brain over which I have no control. None. I wish I did. I wish I could will away my compulsion to drink, but I cannot.

What I CAN do is never act on it again.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thankyou kevin 78, I found AA a real godsend and would go a lot more if able hence signing up to this sight find it reassuring reading through knowing there is hope. BSBW
Old 02-24-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Soberleigh this site is my only support right now im kinda cut off
Old 02-24-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Will take a look still familiarising myself with the site maybe see you there saoutchik
Old 02-24-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Me63 View Post
Hi Soberleigh this site is my only support right now im kinda cut off
SR is a great place to be!!!!!
Old 02-24-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
It's called addiction.

It was really hard for me to grasp the fact that I could simultaneously want sobriety and want alcohol. I would commit to giving it up and then a few days later I would want a drink so bad it hurt. Then there was this battle raging in my head between wanting to drink and not wanting to drink. I seriously thought I might be going insane.

The rational thought to stay sober and the irrational impulse to drink come from different parts of the brain. The compulsion to drink arises from a part of the brain over which I have no control. None. I wish I did. I wish I could will away my compulsion to drink, but I cannot.

What I CAN do is never act on it again.
So true thanks and its knowing the difference