Notices

Y'all were right...

Old 02-24-2015, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DK3

Y'all were right...

The whole past weekend I sat here defending why I HAD to drink until Monday because of OCD and would quit after that. Even today I posted that it's Day 2 for me. Btw, it was day 2 because I slept all that yesterday to sleep off the booze.

All that turned out to be BS. I'm drinking again. And OCD or whatever else are just excuses. I couldn't handle the stress so I started drinking again. Which is another excuse. I need to quit. I need to do it myself and stop making excuses.

Btw, if I disappear (again), don't worry. I tend to come back when I'm drinking and stop contributing when I'm sober. That's because the forum has become a trigger. I need to work on this alcoholism thing so solidly that I can contribute and help when I'm sober.

So... the most likely thing to happen is: I will attempt to quit tomorrow again. If I succeed, I will be gone until this forum isn't a trigger anymore. If I don't, I'll post again. But if I do succeed, I will ditch my login details and will throw together some letters and numbers when I sign up again as a new user. But that time, I will be sober and have done all I can.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

for what it's worth, I wonder if your "this forum is a trigger" stuff isn't some further rationalization....

you come here when you're drinking.... ?

Doesn't sound like the forum is a trigger.

Hell.... even "triggers" are't really triggers when we get right down to it and get honest. We are the trigger. Our decision to drink is the trigger. Our addiction is the trigger.

I donno.... for me, staying sober means keeping my head in recovery actively. It means being with people who understand - face to face and virtually. It means reminding myself WHY I choose sobriety. Every day.

Anyway, I am sending you hope and strength and sober intent. May you find the path that works for you.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

for the record when I read all that "OCD" and "I need to drink until Monday" stuff I thought "Man, this dude is fooling hisself". I didn't comment that, but when I read this stuff about the forum being a trigger.... I thought it again.

I may be way off base, I'm not judging - just sharing my response.

You can do this.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sugar77

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
for what it's worth, I wonder if your "this forum is a trigger" stuff isn't some further rationalization....

you come here when you're drinking.... ?

Doesn't sound like the forum is a trigger.

Hell.... even "triggers" are't really triggers when we get right down to it and get honest. We are the trigger. Our decision to drink is the trigger. Our addiction is the trigger.

I donno.... for me, staying sober means keeping my head in recovery actively. It means being with people who understand - face to face and virtually. It means reminding myself WHY I choose sobriety. Every day.

Anyway, I am sending you hope and strength and sober intent. May you find the path that works for you.
^^^^^ This exactly!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If that is what you need, go for it. I know this place has helped me with great suggestions and I make a point of checking in everyday.

I am not sure what you are reading that is triggering you but perhaps a different part of the forum would be best or AA or Smart or well idk...

I just hope you find the support you need and aren't looking for reasons to drink.

I know you can do this and best of luck on whatever path you choose.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

What about this forum makes you want to drink? I have just the opposite reaction, so I am curious.

I have been to meetings that made me want to drink, so I get it. I just don't experience the same reaction to SR.

You don't have to wait until tomorrow to stop drinking. Although pouring alcohol into my face was always the biggest trigger I ever had. It always triggered more.

Good Luck!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd suggest that you most likely are in need of external help such as a medically supervised detox. SR will always be here, but it's pretty clear that you won't be able to stop on your own at this point.

Explaining yourself to the forum is not necessary. We know exactly what you are going through, and we also understand that you think your situation is somehow different than ours. What is important that you are true to yourself and that you seek the help you need.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So this might be part of it: I couldn't handle the stress so I started drinking again.

Perhaps figure out ways to lower your stress?

Either way, I agree, it is an excuse. Someone here posted yesterday a quote from Carol that stated: You have to want to be sober more than you want to be drunk.

So very true. You also have to admit, and I believe this is the BIGGEST hurdle on the way to recovery, that you cannot drink normally. Once you accept that, it is much easier to stop.

Just my two cents.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
DK3

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I'd suggest that you most likely are in need of external help such as a medically supervised detox. SR will always be here, but it's pretty clear that you won't be able to stop on your own at this point.

Explaining yourself to the forum is not necessary. We know exactly what you are going through, and we also understand that you think your situation is somehow different than ours. What is important that you are true to yourself and that you seek the help you need.
You're right. I have to be honest with myself and be realistic and see that I do need external help.

Time to actually do that.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, DK3. Your post got me thinking..

For me, stress and chronic depression are my triggers. I've been coming here for feedback off and on since November, 2006, and I see a different pattern (again, my experience). When I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired of drinking, I decide to address the problem by reading here and posting. Once I say what the Hell and "give in," I stop reading and posting for a few reasons. It's easier to put blinders on and isolate (denial), I feel like a disappointment or the "boy who cried wolf," and I convince myself I'll post again once I've had a few days or longer under my belt.

The thing is, I've been doing this for nine years and something has to change or I'll NEVER be happy. I WANT this for myself, so I plan to visit at least once a day whenever possible. Even if only to post in the 24 hour thread and read other people's stories, good and bad.

Baby steps for me, but in the grand scheme of things... worth it.

Originally Posted by Cecilia44 View Post
So this might be part of it: I couldn't handle the stress so I started drinking again.

Perhaps figure out ways to lower your stress?

Either way, I agree, it is an excuse. Someone here posted yesterday a quote from Carol that stated: You have to want to be sober more than you want to be drunk.

So very true. You also have to admit, and I believe this is the BIGGEST hurdle on the way to recovery, that you cannot drink normally. Once you accept that, it is much easier to stop.

Just my two cents.
ALL of the points highlighted in red are areas I need to work on. Thank you, Cecilia for this.

BE KIND TO YOURSELF, DK3 and keep trying. If SR doesn't work for you, try to identify some other tools that might help YOU. Exercise, journaling, therapy, etc.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

The forum is huge and has many sections. Don't tell me that socializing in cafe central or one of the healthy living threads is a trigger.

You can go to the secular connection, alcoholism or 12 step sections to name a few which don't have many drunkologues.

Also I would suggest you join those two threads once you put down the bottle
A thread where people commit not to drink or drug for the next 24 hours and a fun supportive way to hold each other accountable:
The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com (24-hour Recovery Connections Part 41)
and the Class of February 2015 for support and networking with your peers who quit at the same time:
The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com (Class of February 2015 Part 2)

I am glad that you are willing to seek outside help.
We are here to support you but you are the one who has to take the action to quit drinking.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Any which way we can! My computer is always logged onto SR. Sometimes I post, sometimes not. Sometimes I don't even look at it. Drinking is permanently out of the equation thanks to RR Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (which I found right here). A split mind can't make a solid decision. Once your decision is firm, the hows and whats come like a monsoon--at least for me it was like that.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're right. I have to be honest with myself and be realistic and see that I do need external help.

Time to actually do that.
spot on

D
Old 02-24-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i'm just going to say that when i couldn't get hold of sobriety i acted out here. i was FURIOUS that others could do it and i couldn't. why couldn't they see i was DIFFERENT?

guess what. i'm not a special snowflake and neither are you. the people here who tell you that you can do this are telling you because they have done it.

please be well.