Notices

Confused at where I'm at

Old 02-23-2015, 10:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Confused at where I'm at

Hi, everyone I've been a guest looking at these forums for a little bit now and decided to make an account. I'm currently in college and drinking is a huge part of that. I currently drink every weekend Friday and Saturday as well as at least once maybe twice during the week so usually 3-4 days. I don't drink every day but when I do drink it's a binge and usually 15 or 20 plus drinks and I can't stop once I have a drink. I think that I have a drinking problem and there seemed to be a lot of support here, I haven't drank the past 2 days and I would like to continue that.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome jack!
Old 02-23-2015, 10:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Jack and welcome.

Somewhere on the forum there's a message thread asking if there's anyone who can moderate their drinking once they start. The overwhelming response was no, the majority of forum members have found that once they start to drink they can't stop.

I am so pleased for you that you have recognised this at such a young age (I'm 46, anyone born later than 1980 is young to me!) as you have the chance to get this under control before it impacts on relationships with partners and maybe in time children.

While it may seem that everyone around you drinks there is probably a fair amount that don't. If you make the choice to not drink you may initially find people encourage you to have some but once they get used to it the pressure will stop.

I know that all sounds very simplified - you will have struggles and difficulties along the way - but I just want you to know it IS worth it (and the benefits of sobriety are HUGE!)
Old 02-23-2015, 10:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Welcome, Jack!

Why not take some time off from drinking and step back and look at things more clearly?

When I was in college I would only drink some nights but would go wild, often to blackout. I really had no perspective that what I was doing was stupid/not fun/dangerous/damaging to my future. To be honest, I was usually too wasted to even enjoy/remember the debauchery. So I guess my point is if you can't pull back and moderate please stop now before you waste part of your life and it gets worse. And for some people, disaster strikes before they can turn it around.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the quick replies!

Ya blacking out has been a huge worry especially with it happening so often. I'm tired of waking up with regret in the morning and embarrassing myself. I always tell myself I won't drink next weekend but I always do or I'll just have a few on Friday and that never happens either.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is a couple of groups on here that have been so helpful to me. In the same section as we are now is the 'class of February 2015' where those of us starting our journey this month 'hang out' and support each other (doesn't mean we take no notice of other stuff, just a nice feeling of belonging). And in the next section down is the 24 hour 'group' where once a day people sign up for 24 hours of sobriety at a time (or people like me sign in in the morning to say it's going to be 24 hours and sign in at the end if the day to say 'hey, I did it).

For me these have got me through 3 weeks and a day with today being day 23
Old 02-24-2015, 12:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi Jack, welcome to SR
Old 02-24-2015, 12:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Jack.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hi Jack 17, binge drinking in college is almost deemed acceptable behavior. I was in college in the 80's and it was the same sh*t. I think the fact that you are aware of it already puts you ahead of the game. I hope you can cut it off at the pass and not have to deal with hitting rock bottom. Read this site and you will see how it can destroy lives. I wish you the best.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Jack!!
Old 02-24-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Jack, I hear you about not wanting to stop when you start; I'm in my mid 40s and it has been a bloody blight. But we all have crosses to bear and this is one of mine. You're in a very difficult social situation as the regularity of consumption tends to be huge when you're a student. It carries on like that outside of it too but I think it's particularly acute at your current stage of life. I'm increasing coming to the view that I will have to learn to be able to go to a bar/pub and not drink, but I've only embarked on this road and so that might be just too hard for me. I'm thinking that hypnotherapy might be a help as it helped me manage a phobia successfully before, but it's just speculation at this stage. All the best Jack, regards