Notices

Will this last forever?

Old 02-23-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will this last forever?

Hello all, I'm new here.

And I guess I'm an alcoholic.

I was never a big drinker to start with. In fact, before I hit 36, I had only been drunk a few times during my life. But my wife became ill and around about the same time I discovered I liked red wine. A lot. So many different grapes, varieties, blends, etc. And I always thought I had it under control. I was never a daily drinker. But I would drink on the weekends...Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays (I work Tues-Fri). I would drink quite a lot then, though. Usually one to 1.5 bottles of red wine. I thought I had it under control since I never drank much beyond a single glass with dinner during weekdays. This went on for about two years. Early this year, I decided I should take a break from drinking for awhile as I noticed my mind becoming a bit foggy. I thought I would be fine due to the fact that when I would take a few days break from drinking, I didn't really crave it, nor did I have much in the way of withdrawal symptoms beyond feeling slightly anxious and shaky. And I didn't think much of it at the time as anxiety has been part of my life as long as I can remember.

Well, I was in for a surprise. I had my last drink of wine on the 9th of this month. I felt ok the following day. The day after, however, I woke up feeling like complete crap. I was shaking like mad, my hands and armpits were sweating profusely. I couldn't think straight. I've known people who have had it much worse when stopping alcohol, but I thought by avoiding alcohol for at least 3-4 nights a week I would not have to worry about withdrawals. I was wrong.

So it's been two weeks since I stopped drinking and I'm wondering...when will this end? I thought I was getting better over the weekend, but I'm feeling as if I'm back to square one now. I'm shaking, waking up in a panic, sweaty palms and my mind still feels so foggy. My emotions are all over the place. I guess I should be glad I never had anything like the DTs or seizures. But I still feel like crap. I've not touched a drop of alcohol since the 9th, though today I feel as if I'm getting worse. I thought this would all be over by now.

One thing I thought of - in my job I have to clean my hands several times per day with this antibacterial rub - which contains alcohol. Can that alcohol be absorbed through the skin and causing my recovery to stall? Or is it just that this withdrawal comes and goes in waves, where I may be feeling somewhat ok one day and then feeling like absolute crap the next?

I know I have so many questions, so I'm really sorry for that, especially if they've been answered elsewhere already. I guess I'm just looking for some positive reinforcement and hope that this will indeed end. That I will be able to wake up feeling calm. That my palms will ever stop sweating, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice
Old 02-23-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep a close tab on your blood sugar, for one thing.

Have you been to the doctor recently?

When we drink (especially drinks like wine) we are taking in huge amounts of sugar. Withdrawing that source wreaks havoc if we don't replace it with other carbohydrates.

I kept a bag of Doves dark chocolate with me at all times. When I got shaky, one piece would do the trick. Others swear by juice or ice cream.

Just make sure you have something to eat when you feel this way. This is just a phase if you aren't pre-diabetic or diabetic. It took about a month for this to pass, for me. Take it easy on the caffeine (coffee, tea, soda pop.)

I hope you feel better soon.

I wouldn't worry about the hand sanitizer - it won't absorb into your bloodstream.

Welcome to the forums, and congratulations on taking back your life!
Old 02-23-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR and congrats on your new found sobriety. A couple of quick answers

1. Yes - it gets better, much better. My sleep pattern took several weeks to get back to a normal pattern, although everyone is different.

2. If you are have physical symptoms that concern you, do see a doctor. They can check you out and see if anything is amiss.

3. Hand rubs with alcohol will not absorb through your skin into your bloodstream, at least not in any measurable amount. It evaporates much more quickly than that.

The hart part of withdrawals are most likely near done...stay strong and do see a doctor if you think things are not getting better soon physically.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Biminiblue has some good input there. Perhaps a quick doctor visit could ease your mind.

Good job on quitting!
Old 02-23-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the kind and speedy replies, everyone. It's reassuring to know that the hand sanitizer I have to use at work won't set back my recovery. And tomorrow I will call my GP and make an appointment, just to make sure everything is ok and this really is just alcohol withdrawal.

Thanks again
Old 02-23-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR
Old 02-23-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR
Old 02-23-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It could quite possibly be your anxiety coupled with the "oh no am I really not going to drink again- cant do this!" thought that could be making things worse. Its crazy how much your mind can affect your body. Your mind convinces your body of something and your body goes along with it. Its a truly weird sense.

But stopping now is a great idea. Welcome aboard.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 02-23-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR TheSilfenPaths

I'm glad you're seeing your GP - at least you should be able to put your mind at ease

D
Old 02-23-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Does the hand sanitizer contain ethanol or isopropyl alcohol? If it is the latter then it is a completely different substance. In the States hand sanitizers would pretty much always have isopropyl alcohol in them, but it might be different in the UK.

Even if it is ethanol I agree with the prior posters with regard to it evaporating quickly. It would be a negligible amount that gets in your system. If that wasn't the case I am sure the high school kids would be doing full body rubs with the stuff.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. I'm still a bit foggy but it's getting a lot better.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome! You can do this!
Old 02-24-2015, 12:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi TheSilfenPaths, welcome to SR
Old 02-24-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

welcome TSP.

just be sure to tell the doctor everything - too many people hold back about how much they were drinking or other information from the doctor, they can't help or know what to test for if they don't know the whole story.