Notices

A serious question

Old 02-23-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A serious question

Hello All, I have been on and off this site for years. I am hoping I can get some advice/answers on alcohol withdrawal. I am an alcoholic who drank tons. Right now is day 3 without any booze. I knew I would have anxiety, shaking and problems sleeping. Today the shaking is gone. However, my stomach (or surrounding area) is hurting and my lower back hurts as well. Is this normal detox? I don't feel bad anywhere else minus feeling really tired. Any replies are greatly appreciated and thank you.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It would be wise to see a doctor.

With that said, I had all kinds of aches and pains when I had passed the acute withdrawal stage. All that alcohol had numbed my pain indicators (receptors?) and when I removed alcohol I had all the feeling back.

I had mostly joint and muscle pain. I took Ibuprofen for a couple weeks. (Not recommended if you have liver damage, though.)
Old 02-23-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by mbrett View Post
However, my stomach (or surrounding area) is hurting and my lower back hurts as well. Is this normal detox? I don't feel bad anywhere else minus feeling really tired. Any replies are greatly appreciated and thank you.
There really is no such thing as "normal" detox, every person handles it differently. In fact, even an individual might handle progressive detox's differently. For me they got worse each time, the last one landed me in the ER.

Stomach and back pain could be a very wide range of things - if you are concerned about it please see a doctor.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You should see a doctor if you have questions or concerns.

But based on my experience, at the 72 hour mark most dangerous physical symptoms were gone.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back, mbrett. Good to hear that you are choosing sobriety.

I didn't experience the symptoms you have described and cannot say whether they are normal or not. Best to see your doctor if you have any concerns; he or show will be the only one who can accurately diagnose the cause of your pain.

Rooting for you, mbrett.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ok thank you all. If I feel it getting worse I will go to the doctor. I have had 2 seizures in the past year so I am really concerned about the first 3 days which is why I asked.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk Mbrett best letting a Dr check you out bud
Old 02-23-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back. We're rooting for you.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I'm gonna stay close to this site today and start hitting AA tomorrow. I've gotta stay out of the drinking nightmare... its a living hell for me.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Really pulling for you buddy, I think we have all been there to some degree in the first month or so, my first detox was pretty gruesome with the cold sweats at night and itchy skin but it does get better after the first 72-96 hours in my experience. As Scott says there is no normal detox as such as we all tend to have variable symptoms and the doctor is the best qualified person to consult should you require qualified analysis.

You are doing fab buddy.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by mbrett View Post
Thank you all. I'm gonna stay close to this site today and start hitting AA tomorrow. I've gotta stay out of the drinking nightmare... its a living hell for me.
Sounds like a great plan mbrett. I was pretty much glued to SR for the first couple weeks, it can really help. Having local support does too, why not find a meeting today?
Old 02-23-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The sole reason why i'm not going to a meeting today is the last two times I quit I had seizures in the first 3 day time period so I dont want to drive until tomorrow. Don't want to have a seizure while driving and hurt someone.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you back mbrett

great advice above..but if you have a history of seizures, and you're concerned about it, why wouldn't you see your Dr?

D
Old 02-23-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome back mbrett!!