Notices

I need help please?

Old 02-23-2015, 02:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help please?

Hi everyone. Some of you may remember I joined and stopped drinking 8 days ago? I have hit a problem and have been on the phone much of this morning trying to get advice anonymously but as I expected - agencies (including AA) say they simply advise me to go to meetings...

I am aware this site can't give any medical advice but that doesn't feel to me what I am asking for....so here goes...I wonder what some of you think...sorry it's taking me so long to get to the point - I am just nervous. Here is the problem. 6 days into my abstinence I had one night having nearly 1 bottle of wine. I woke up yesterday with sudden desperate feelings of (I think) withdrawal...ie, flu like symptoms, all my joints aching, terrible prolonged headache and a cough. My voice has almost completely gone. Also sleeplessness and some nausea. I am just doing my best battling through...I live alone and no-one knows I am doing this (or have a drink prob). Yesterday I found out I am being offered a big job interview I have been waiting on coming through for 4/5 years...but I cannot prepare or even get to the interview next Tuesday feeling like this...so very unwell.

I read online last night that I may have been better tapering my drinking...? No just stopping...?

Bizarrely I don't feel the impulse to drink...I am so unwell...but I wondered if I should try tapering so the withdrawal isn't so bad? I know about more severe withdrawal but I don't have these symptoms.

Unfortunately I know I won't go to my Gp (the need to remain anon that i wont go into here ) and when I tried to attend AA meetings a year ago I kept meeting clients of mine - and...please don't judge me - I couldnt and didn't feel anonymous enough to continue going. I feel very lost with this dilemma. Can you help without just saying you cannot provide medical advice...? I understand that. I guess I am just looking for others experience of getting through and how long this can go on. And any thoughts about the spanner in the works of the new possible job in the offing...? Hopeful of some help
Old 02-23-2015, 02:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wouldn't bother going back to drinking just to taper down. You're in it now, may as well just go through it. It'll be hard either way. The only thing that will make it easier is medication. But if you don't want to go to the doctor there's not much else you can do. If you've gone 8 days sober and only drank one night you shouldn't be in much mortal danger from withdrawl but it can still be very unpleasant. Good luck. If you change your mind about the dr they can make things much easier.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i see now you had 6 days sober. If you were a heavy drinker your not gonna feel right for a while. You'll feel a lot better than you do now but I wouldn't make any big plans for a month. Not trying to scare you but that's the deal unfortunately
Old 02-23-2015, 02:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You had 6 days and then one night on the drink?

I think whether it's this Tuesday or next the very best thing you could do for yourself is not drink again, littlebear.

It's simply alcoholic thinking to think you need to drink some more in order to taper off - and that's not medical advice just common sense.

If you feel unwell or concerned the very best thing to front up to the Dr.
Some things are more important than secrecy, littlebear.

The medical advice rule here is for your protection, not ours
None of us know your clinical details, and none of us are doctors.

D
Old 02-23-2015, 02:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I understand your desire for anonymity. But I also know - having many friends who are GPs - that the GP will protect your anonymity 100%

This new job is going to mean diddly-squat if you don't put your health first. There's no point even thinking about this interview if you are going to not accept help for your addiction.

Reading this back I sound like a cold-hearted cow. I honestly am not but sometimes we have to do things we may not be comfortable with
Old 02-23-2015, 02:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks. Yes it sounds pessimistic but I know your right. I have been drinking some years every night - the amounts not colossal...a half to a bottle of wine most nights but 7 nights a week...so my body will be used to the alcohol. Then there was also some 20+ years before that of regular drinking albeit it not every night ...but too much. I really want a good go at getting this job...thank you anyway. Littlebear
Old 02-23-2015, 02:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

You can do this LittleBear
Old 02-23-2015, 05:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Hi everyone. Some of you may remember I joined and stopped drinking 8 days ago? I have hit a problem and have been on the phone much of this morning trying to get advice anonymously but as I expected - agencies (including AA) say they simply advise me to go to meetings...

I am aware this site can't give any medical advice but that doesn't feel to me what I am asking for....so here goes...I wonder what some of you think...sorry it's taking me so long to get to the point - I am just nervous. Here is the problem. 6 days into my abstinence I had one night having nearly 1 bottle of wine. I woke up yesterday with sudden desperate feelings of (I think) withdrawal...ie, flu like symptoms, all my joints aching, terrible prolonged headache and a cough. My voice has almost completely gone. Also sleeplessness and some nausea. I am just doing my best battling through...I live alone and no-one knows I am doing this (or have a drink prob). Yesterday I found out I am being offered a big job interview I have been waiting on coming through for 4/5 years...but I cannot prepare or even get to the interview next Tuesday feeling like this...so very unwell.

I read online last night that I may have been better tapering my drinking...? No just stopping...?

Bizarrely I don't feel the impulse to drink...I am so unwell...but I wondered if I should try tapering so the withdrawal isn't so bad? I know about more severe withdrawal but I don't have these symptoms.

Unfortunately I know I won't go to my Gp (the need to remain anon that i wont go into here ) and when I tried to attend AA meetings a year ago I kept meeting clients of mine - and...please don't judge me - I couldnt and didn't feel anonymous enough to continue going. I feel very lost with this dilemma. Can you help without just saying you cannot provide medical advice...? I understand that. I guess I am just looking for others experience of getting through and how long this can go on. And any thoughts about the spanner in the works of the new possible job in the offing...? Hopeful of some help
I would be fine by tues I had several withdrawal episodes in my former life. I used to control it mostly with benzo..iI was a sick pup. Listen, sounds like you have a lot of anxiety and I relate to living alone too. You will be fine and if you want my honest answer you will have more emotional trouble than physical which could be the culprit anyway. Just quit drinking already and ride out the anxiety and you will be fine by interview. Get out alot for air and drink water and rest. PM me for more help..

Ryan
Old 02-23-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
totfit

Take a walk, run, hike, bike. Do something to get outside yourself for a bit. If you think you have some medical problems see I Doctor, but you don't need to "taper" at this point. It would just be an excuse to drink again. There are a lot of unpleasant things early on, but you never have to experience them again if............you don't drink. No medical advice, but I suspect most of your symptoms at this point are mental. I also suspect that if you get out for a bit and get some exercise, eat something that is good for you that you can get ready for anything you have to do. The absolute best way to overcome fear/anxiety is to move through it.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Ryan for helping me see a bit clearer...yes probably i will be ok next week.

I can see looking back over my message of this morning that i was knee deep in anxiety. Actually that isnt like me. Anyway feeling very different now - just gonna try and stay within as many moments as I can.
Littlebear
Old 02-23-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Littlebear, you're in the UK, and there is patient confidentially here, I'm from the North of Ireland, and like you didn't want to attend a Dr appt but then bit the bullet and went, no one knows I even had a drink problem.

You gotta be safe, and Sobriety is no good if you're not safe, only a Dr can check your vitals and make sure withdrawals are not damaging your health.

Be safe!!