Notices

what were your PAWS symptoms like after 3 months?

Old 02-22-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How were your PAWS (post acute withdrawel) after the 3 months plus mark?

Im 2 months 28 days currently.

Steel feel tired but not as bad as earlier on, anxiety is almost gone ,other than being anxious about and questioning why im tired.....doc sais sleep hygiene, which is a work in progress.

Groggy dizzy things prety much gone which is nice.

Im going well but I dont feel there yet. Maybe 75% of the way though.

Keen to hear your experience
Old 02-22-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there justin...it takes time but you will eventually feel better. Sounds like you are doing great. 75% is awesome. Follow your Dr's recommendations about sleeping well. Sleepy time tea helps me.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, I have some of that in the cupboard, ill give it a go
Old 02-22-2015, 07:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

7 months in for me now.

Sleep has come good, energy is good, moods stabilised a fair bit.

It is just time Justin.

Can't expect years of neglect to repair in a few weeks or months.

But of course we all think that is the case
Old 02-22-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Justin, i dont remember hearing about paws directly in my early sobriety its only on here ive heard about paws D has a great link PAWS | Digital Dharma

i know the first 3-6 months were the hardest for me but with regular mtns group therapy seeing an outreach team it got better there were hard days but i had ppl i could visit & ppl i could phone in times of urges cravings etc

Congrats on your 2 months 28 days are you 90 days today justin ?
Old 02-22-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You read my mind Hawks, im the first to admit im inpatient in this...I want it now! Lol
Old 02-22-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thankz wolf, yep 90 days today, and nevergoing back. It was a lot more scary and hard than what I expected, but the storms starting to blow out to sea and more blue sky is shining through.you were all right, you purple Dee and others, it does get better but doesnt feel like it when urdown n feelung ****. Thats where ive found this forum wonderful. Because we dont have to do this alone
Old 02-22-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

You sir are awesome way to go on 90 days Justin
Old 02-22-2015, 10:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
levonhelmrules

Congrats Mr. Justin!

90 days is awesome. I'm impatient too. We will get there. Great job.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think at 3 months I started feeling more stable being sober, and I'd gotten pretty used to paws and could anticipate it easier. There was some randomness with the state of being and propably some kind of anxiety of the nerves. It does get better all the time.

Then at 6 months I think was another point where something was different.

Now at 20 months+ I can't recall when I've thought of booze the last time. If there still is paws, it is very mild and easy to pass undetected.

There definately was something about 3 months. There still were some hard times between months 3 to 9, so I guess it's better be prepared that paws might cause a few surprises down the road.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UnixBer View Post
I think at 3 months I started feeling more stable being sober, and I'd gotten pretty used to paws and could anticipate it easier. There was some randomness with the state of being and propably some kind of anxiety of the nerves. It does get better all the time.

Then at 6 months I think was another point where something was different.

Now at 20 months+ I can't recall when I've thought of booze the last time. If there still is paws, it is very mild and easy to pass undetected.

There definately was something about 3 months. There still were some hard times between months 3 to 9, so I guess it's better be prepared that paws might cause a few surprises down the road.
Good words UnixBer, I found the part about anticipating the paws and getting used to it really interesting. I can relate as I think this is what im starting to do. I like it as A I realise theres nothing seriously wrong with me its just my body healing and B it doesnt scare the you know whats out of me as much. Oh and its not as severe or long lasting as before either which is a nice reprieve.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 90 days Justin

The way I look at it is - I drank hard, for years - by rights my recovery should have been hard & for years too. But it wasn't.

When this is over you'll look back one day and marvel at how quickly things turned around Justin
D
Old 02-23-2015, 03:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Honestly I think I was so very ill at the end that whatever PAWS throws at me is unnoticeable because I feel so much better now. I do think healthy sleep habits are very important. I have anxiety at times but nowhere near the crippling attacks I had drinking.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Same here, would you believe I felt so anxious and sick from drinking I have barely craved alcohol at all since quitying. No way am I going back to feeling like that.

Ur right, whilst I winge about paws, its better than where I left as a drunk father and partner
Old 02-23-2015, 09:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Three months? Up and down moods. More up than down though. However, the downs were sometimes pretty surprising, like I might snap at someone.

Still some fleeting feelings of panic. Last maybe five minutes?

Low threshold for stress. Even small things stress me out. (Physical reaction, elevated heart rate, shallow breaths).

Still some phantom hangovers, like "whoa, WTF, did I drink last night? No!"

Some feelings of depression. Sometimes in a bit of disbelief that this is for real, this is permanent. No turning back. I don't want to turn back but it is still very new and a bit strange, but strange in a good way.

Sometimes feeling outside of my body, like I'm watching a movie of my life rather than living it. ( I had this EVERYDAY when I was drinking every night).

BUT, feeling a million times better in every single way than drinking. I will repeat:

Feeling a million times better in every single way than when I was drinking.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Hello MrJustin - Congratulations on getting this far - I think both at of us are at a similar stage in our journeys so I can't answer your question about how long it takes for PAWS to subside but I'm going to waffle on about my experience anyway!

I'd never heard of PAWS until I found this forum and it certainly helps put a label on some of the feelings I've had since my last drink nearly 3 months ago......... the poor short term memory, the unexplained mood swings, the inability to find the right word (a bit awkward at times especially when it's an everyday word like 'dog' or 'chair'. I've taken to overuse the term 'whatsit' of late!) the tiredness, the irritability and lack of concentration......etc.
Initially I wanted to know the reason for every small change in the way I felt but now I'm trying to accept that life just throws ups and downs, good and not so good feelings at you constantly.
I used to have a quick fix to any unpleasant symptoms - oblivion, now I have to learn to accept them and go with them
For me, the symptoms I feel that are the result of my not drinking alcohol (PAWS if you like) may subside or may be with me forever, I don't know yet.
What I do know is that these symptoms, while inconvenient, are infinitely preferable to the vile, debilitating, symptoms I experienced during my drinking career. So whatever label these symptoms carry, I'm going to enjoy them because they're a result of my choice to enjoy a sober life
Nearly 3 months, mate! Who'd have thought it!!!!
Old 02-24-2015, 01:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Melinda and Hendrix spot on could relate to everything you just said. I too am working on accepting my symptoms as a badge of my sobriety. The tirednesd, headaches outside looking in that you mentioned and maybee a little light headed ferling now and then come and go. But much better than when I quit. The really scary feeling really out of it and groggy dizzy feeling has left over the last couple of weeks. Hendrix we should pm talk guitar sometime mate. I have a seagull accoustic.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

hi mrjustin ,

at 3 months i had the odd craving still , not as reguarly as when i first stopped . I knew what to expect though and i knew how to deal with them it was just boring having to wait for them to go ..

I had to be wary of how much caffeene i was taking in with tea, coffee and cola , sugary stuff can also make me dehydrated and headachey … have some water ..

Have you had your eyes tested recently ? sometimes our vision changes on getting sober .

My memory was all over the shop for maybe the first year or so .. a proper Mr Magoo .

Sounds like your doing great , keep on

m
Old 02-24-2015, 01:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That's the word I was looking for: depersonalization, the "watching a movie" of my life bit.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Oh the anxiety! Thankfully, that's nearly all gone now. Except when it comes to the anxiety over my lack of anxiety...

I am rounding the bend into month four and have to say Hendrix and Melinda have pretty much hit the nail on the head for me.

I feel like a real person everyday now. Not all day everyday but everyday, which is awesome. It is frustrating when mid conversation I get sucked into my head, but hey, what are you going to do. The mood swings have died down a lot and at least and I know I am being unreasonable before I act on them, mostly.

Even as a kid my short term memory wasn't great so that is only a bit annoying. It's also at its worst when I am in a hurry or felling pressure.

I drank so long and hard I don't have any clue how much I feel like a normal person yet.