Notices

Depression Starting Weeks After Quitting Drinking

Old 02-22-2015, 04:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression Starting Weeks After Quitting Drinking

I am new to this site. Been reading posts last few weeks. Quit drinking three weeks ago. Experienced anxiety for a few days, but then I felt better than I had in years. Thing is now, three weeks out, I am becoming very depressed. So I guess my questions is this: Is is common to stop drinking, feel anxious a few days, feel great for a week or so, and they suddenly become depressed for no reason? I imagine this has to be related, but am confused as to why I felt so great the second week, only to feel so bad now. Think I am going to go to the Dr, but just wanted to know if what I am experiencing is common, and how long it lasts/how long I may need some type of meds from the doc.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Hughey

Anxiety and depression are common experiences for a lot of us, especially in the first month or so, but the way those things manifest can be very different from person to person.

If you're concerned, definitely do check in with your Dr - none of us here can tell you if you need meds or what meds they might be - that's got to be between you and your doctor

D
Old 02-22-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, it IS common. Huge dietary change and the body is acclimating. None of these changes will be as quick as the uptake of the drink. I had to consider that "instant change" was a big part of my addiction. Every day sober for me has been cumulative and I suspect it will be for you--give it time.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Hughey nice to meet you i agree with D
Old 02-22-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In my experience the short answer is 'absolutely'.

The longer answer is probably something along the lines of 'it's different for everyone but the commonality is that we have almost universally had themes of depression and anxiety interwoven into the fabric of our addiction problems -for years, for decades. When we take away the coping mechanism, our conditioned response, our approach to dealing with it all - we will experience a chaotic and unpredictable set of reactions. There are a gajillion variables including our own personal life experiences, our traumas, our life circumstances now and in the past, our level of support or lack thereof. It will be different for us all but one thing is fairly consistent - it will take TIME and it will take ACTION to establish a new stasis. It will take TIME and it will take ACTION to heal. It will take TIME and it will take ACTION to rewire our brains and our bodies, to understand our emotions, to develop acceptance and compassion for ourselves'

For me.... about 5 weeks through to about 6-7 months were really tough with anxiety, depression, uncertainty, general lack of energy, malaise, melancholy - all interspersed with bouts of enthusiasm, joy and excitement. Through work, action, change, AA, working the steps, journaling, meditating, exercising, counseling and therapy (not aimed at alcohol but rather at life... emotions.... the basic parameters of Being Human) - it all gradually evolved to a much, much better place. Now nearly 14 months on.... things are radically different. Sure, somedays I still feel anxious. Somedays I still feel sad.... but the big difference is that now I recognize that as being OK. It passes like the clouds or the weather or the GOOD emotions... because nothing is permanent and it's all changing, all the time.

Hang in there....

And give it TIME and give it ACTION.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Hughey

Are you depressed or feeling a bit 'flat'? I hit a few days where the initial buzz of being sober receded but I had nothing to take it's place. I've booked myself some evening classes and we are taking in a rescue dog.

I'm not trying to say it's not depression in your case, just explaining how it was for me x
Old 02-22-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Esspee View Post
Welcome Hughey Are you depressed or feeling a bit 'flat'? I hit a few days where the initial buzz of being sober receded but I had nothing to take it's place. I've booked myself some evening classes and we are taking in a rescue dog. I'm not trying to say it's not depression in your case, just explaining how it was for me x
I like this. Similar here, I don't think I have a depression, it's more of a flat feeling. Kind of like where is the sober party? LOL!
Old 02-22-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Hughey!!