Notices

Hello

Old 08-13-2004, 10:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Hello

Hey, I am a 27 year old alcoholic and addict of cocaine. I have not drank in 26 days but I have only been sober from cocaine for 8 days. I am having a difficulty staying away from the old crowd, considering my entire social circle consisted of users and dealers. I feel very alone and I want to isolate. I am certain this is not healthy, but my drug abuse and alcoholism has been more unhealthy to me throughout the years. I don't know what to do to pass time, especially on the weekends. I welcome any and all advice, and will offer the same in return.
Thanks

Orion
Old 08-13-2004, 10:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Welcome to SR

Meetings would be a good start. They will give you something to do and are a place to gather info and support.
Staying away from the old crowd is a good idea. temptaions will be a lot less.

Congratulations on the clean and sober time. Keep up the great job.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Orion,
I would recommend AA meetings and NA meetings if you feel you can identify more with that. I think you should get a hold of a meeting list in your area right away and try to delve into it immediatly. Try to make as many meetings as you can for the first 90 days and you will be surprised at how things will change for the better and it will remove you further and further from the element out there. This program definetly works. This site isn't bad either to get positive feedback from people who can id with your situation. You have taken a positive first step in the right direction.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Orion,

I am a 29 alcoholic and like yourself need to make MAJOR changes in order to stay sober.. This means giving up/avoiding the social circles and situation that would cause me to relapse. If they are truly your friends, they will help you to stay sober.. Meet for a coffee instead... Weekends are tough, no doubt - but it can be done with the right support structure... Stay strong !!

TG28
Old 08-14-2004, 07:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Orion-

Meetings are a great place to meet sober friends and you might even see some people there who you already know that have escaped the sceen you are trying to leave... Give it a shot all you have to loose is your misery!!!
Old 08-14-2004, 08:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Orion and welcome!
Congrats on the clean and sober time. I'm not sure if you have a means of support, but you can find a great fellowship of friends in AA and NA. If that's not an option, then right the list of things you alway's wanted to do, or places you would like to visit, like the zoo, museum, a park, lake, etc. Then go! Once you force yourself to get out and see new things, you'll begin to meet up with new people.

In the meantime, stick around here, you'll meet a bunch of new friends in recovery!
Old 08-14-2004, 09:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Red face I agree

Welcome to SR, Orion, I agree......meetings are a good idea & this message board is open 24 hrs a day.....my thoughts are with you.....
I'm going to a meeting of Narcotics Anonymous for the first time, tonight
in my home town.......

Simon
sh777au

Last edited by sh777au; 08-14-2004 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Formatting Error
Old 08-15-2004, 05:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

Welcome to SR.
I know that when I wanted to get clean I had to change EVERYTHING.
There are good people in NA... they know what you and I are feeling... and they care. Seek these people out, Orion... seek them out like your life depends on it.
In NA... you can find a sponsor... and then you will have plenty to do... trust me.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Hi Orion

Welcome To SR

My first days of recovery I knew deep in my soul that if I didn’t take action right there and then. That I would go right back to the insanity of addition once again. When we experience a jolt of reality and self awareness we have to act on it. It’s a small window of opportunity. After that we go right back to our irrational and stinking thinking behaviors. Why am I saying these!. Because of my past experiences, I let the window of opportunity close on me many times. When I did surrendered to my disease, the only thing that matter to me was getting me well first. I am the most important person. I needed time to clear my mind of alcohol and drugs, so I could start making rational decisions. I needed support and I found that at the 12Steps Narcotics Anonymous meetings. When I look back at the time when I had a few days of being clean, I realize today that I am glad I kept it simple and I didn’t make any major decision in my life. As for friends and the weekends our disease isolated us from people except for the getting, using and finding ways and the means to get more we cut ourselves off from the outside world. Our world shank and isolation became our way of life. These to will change the longer you stay clean, you will find other means to occupied your time

God Bless
Timebuster