Notices

Your last day 1 - Weekender Thread Feb 20-22

Old 02-19-2015, 06:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Lightbulb Your last day 1 - Weekender Thread Feb 20-22

The last day 1 I woke I could not grapple with the concept of staying sober enough to believe it. But it's true. Here I am. Sober.

Newcomers post every day... Every single hour... With hope that today will be "the day". We say it with convictions. We want it in our hearts. Yet we feel we can never be certain. It felt like I had a better chance of being struck by lightning than to string a few days together sober.

The good part about the weekender is there is no time requirement for joining in. A simple hello will do. A desire to spend Friday to Sunday with others who all want the same thing.

As we post of our sober activities this weekend consider sharing not what your last drinking day was like but rather what your last day 1 was like. Let's help newcomers understand we all felt very similar on that last first day and that they CAN stay sober just like us!

Are you ready?!? I am!!!

Welcome to your sober weekend!!!!!

K
Old 02-19-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Shotgun!

Old 02-19-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm looking forward to it.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm ready to tackle my 4th sober weekend in a row! Bring it on!
Old 02-19-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome readyornot and Lovesunrises! Glad to have you on the sober weekend bus!

ready... Is this you first weekend sober?
Old 02-19-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes! I'm happy to be aboard.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is my first sober weekend, and today is my 4th Sober day. I can do this, I am ready.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Not shotgun! I can't entirely remember my last day one. I believe it was a Monday and I had work. I don't remember that I was hopeful or worried. I just did it. I'd had almost eleven months of sober time before I relapsed for almost four months so I knew I could do it and I hadn't yet sunk to the absolute lows I had hit before entering inpatient rehab the year before.

I'm bummed I forgot my thermos of coffee this morning. I'm looking forward to the weekend and hope I can get rest. Still sick. Mr. Ruby got a new job but went out to celebrate. Kids off school because its brutally cold. Minus one Fahrenheit on my car thermometer.

So welcome everyone! You can get through a weekend and stay sober.

Bacon. Spam. Chocolate banana bread. OK. I had to start the cooking and eating discussion.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Climbing aboard!!!!
Old 02-19-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great stuff Ready! Speak up if you need anything. Post as much as you need to get through. We have all been there.

Welcome San! Congrats on day 4! Like I mentioned glad to have you and please join in as much as you can or need.

This is going to be an awesome first weekend for you! Let make it happen!

Ken
Old 02-19-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Weasel, I appreciate it.

I'm reaching out because I need to change my approach. I'm hoping to get more comfortable with posting as time goes on.

In the meantime, I go through spells of time when I don't drink at all, and then start spiraling out of control. This last time was one of them. I need to pay more attention to myself - what happens is I go through the anxiety, regret and focus on making changes, then get complacent, then it all starts creeping back in a few months.

I'm hoping this is it, one day at a time. Welcomes from you and others have been very heartening. Thank you.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm onboard! Day 7 after a few nasty relapses. A few new tools in my belt this time. Ready for sober wknd. Hello everyone!
Old 02-19-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Alynn... Welcome aboard. Glad you have those new tools even if they were aquired the hard way. In fact that the only way I got my set.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Think Spring

Old 02-19-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm on the bus in the back since that is where all the interesting stuff happens.

Think spring Weasel?!!
It's 5F out here, but feels like -1F. Spring? Bah!

Ruby-I saw a recipe for spam chocolate cupcakes with caramel frosting.

I also wanted to welcome all the newcomers! It is great to have you on board!
Old 02-19-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Strat, I think I will skip spam chocolate cupcakes. I'm not convinced of that combo.

Hard to think spring Weasel but the flowers are a lovely, hopeful sign. We are expecting at least a week of sub freezing temps. It's so hot inside at work I feel sick. I'm dressed for negative temps in woolen layers. Not going to do my cold any good.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

In - Thanks Ken
Old 02-19-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strategery View Post

Ruby-I saw a recipe for spam chocolate cupcakes with caramel frosting.
UGH! Now that's just repulsive, I'm sorry!

My last first day I knew it was time to shape up already. I had had five months' sobriety, but I was pissy at the way my life was unfolding, so I drank for spite, to shake my fist at the universe. I knew it was really immature, so I just drank for two days, and then sobered up for a big church picnic at our house on my husband's birthday. He was pretty angry that I'd relapsed--again! It took him a couple months to thaw out!

I've been sober now for 15 months.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The last Day One.

There was no doubt in my mind. I knew I could do it. I had previously had a period of 18 years without a drink. The problem I faced was being totally alone. All my family had died and combined with losing my job and best friend of 20 years, I had gone back to drinking. At first it was fun, then soon I was drinking way too much.

Day One. I started right away doing things that were good for me. I posted little notes of affirmation for myself all over the place. I bought and prepared good food. I had success with online forums when losing weight (70+) pounds, so I thought, "Hey, I'll bet there are people on forums who can help with recovery, too." I found this site on Day One and I knew I was home. I found my Class of March thread and posted every day. I read everything I could find on the site. I often spent six hours a day on here.

I also decided to try to find sober friends at AA. I went every day for the first 120 days. It was good and bad, and in the end I decided that meetings were not for me, but I think the AA literature is priceless and inspired and I still read it every day. The principals in AA are just good, common-sense things to do for a happy life.

Now at almost one year, I'm secure in my sobriety. Do thoughts still come? Yes. Do I act on them? No. I never ever want to forget where I came from and the horrible last months of my drinking. I won't go back there again.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Climbing aboard.....this will be my first weekend. I'm on day 4 right now but since I'm your weekend warrior variety, the weekends are always the toughest. I've got a 700 am friendly round of golf saturday and an early tournament on Sunday. I find it easier when I have commitments early on weekends to stay away from binges. Wishing you all the best!