Notices

Day 25 feeling fab but others seem to struggle!?!

Old 02-19-2015, 12:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 25 feeling fab but others seem to struggle!?!

Hi all.

I've reached day 25 and I'm feeling great, sociable and empowered :-)

What I am however finding it strange how others are reacting to me not drinking. It's as though they have taken it personally as they can be quite aggressive in saying why I shouldn't give up drink and that I'm biting off my nose to spite my face as I've always enjoyed the party life. It doesn't help that I've had the all clear with my liver and kidneys from the doctor as this seems to fuel their arguments. I see it however as a second chance to change my life for the better but some people just wont open their eyes to this......It's utterly crazy
Old 02-19-2015, 12:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a lot of people react that way too.

A lot of people in my social circle then were heavy drinkers and, I think, secretly concerned about their drinking,

me quitting made then feel uncomfortable.

I think for others it was a major change in the dynamic of our relationship (some relationships over 30 years old) that threw them.

D
Old 02-19-2015, 02:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go on 25 days Travel thats fantastic

If ppl cant accept you sober their proberly not worth knowing bud
Old 02-19-2015, 03:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Travelgirldodds View Post
Hi all.

I've reached day 25 and I'm feeling great, sociable and empowered :-)

What I am however finding it strange how others are reacting to me not drinking. It's as though they have taken it personally as they can be quite aggressive in saying why I shouldn't give up drink and that I'm biting off my nose to spite my face as I've always enjoyed the party life. It doesn't help that I've had the all clear with my liver and kidneys from the doctor as this seems to fuel their arguments. I see it however as a second chance to change my life for the better but some people just wont open their eyes to this......It's utterly crazy
You are a lot stronger than I have been in the past when I would try to give up drinking. I would tell my friends, people that I have know for years, I was giving up drinking and most of them would give me alternatives to quitting. They would say that I should just moderate drinking better, to drink slower, etc. My friends have encouraged me not to stop drinking and I have caved in several times before.

I think our friends do that because they don't want to lose their fun drinking buddies. If we stop then their circle gets smaller and eventually they will either find new friends or stop themselves, but they are not ready to stop.

This time I feel different however. I feel like I won't fall into there temptation and this time I wont fail.

Congrats on 25 days!
Old 02-19-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Kinda sad when alcohol is removed from relationships we thought were more but were not. Keep up the good work. There are plenty of real folks out there and now you get to meet them--the veil has been lifted (by you of course). Congrats.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, some people seem to hate it when you stop drinking - It seems to make them nervous. Same thing with smoking.

But most of the people I hung around with had addiction issues of their own!

I hope you take their discomfort as a testament to the positive changes you have made.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

well done on 25 days, don't let the negative peer pressure get to you. Maybe it's time to find some new peers for a while.

2 things
1. It is none of their gd business what or why you do something.
2. Don't concern yourself with what others think.

Especially number 2. Keep going, it gets easier with more time. Don't fall for that good report from the doctor so I wasn't that bad thought pattern. It has taken many back out into the path of destruction.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for you wise and kind words. I come on here because you all understand and that is giving me the strength to get the life I know I deserve. It gets frustrating watching your friends continue in the same pattern knowing that they could too feel so much better and see what the real world is like.......fingers crossed in time they will realise this and take the jump......its a real adventure ;-)
Old 02-19-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep at it, travelgirldodds; bravo on 25 days.

(I have found more joy, contentment and peace insobriety than I ever dreamed possible.)