Notices

AV is getting too big

Old 02-18-2015, 08:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AV is getting too big

Hey everyone! End of day 3 for me and my anxiety is at a 1-2 out of 10. I've joined a physiotherapy gym to help strengthen a back injury I've had to deal with. I feel physically worked out and ready to hit the bed early again tonight instead of drinking! I couldn't be happier about this.

My problem is my AV. It tends to start speaking up strongly by the end of day 3. I am finding myself thinking about drinking. When my next drink is. What I'll be drinking. Who I'll be drinking it with. And then I'll snap out of it..I'll tell myself that "I've retired from drinking! Shutup!" It just flabergasts me that after my last hangover (which was the worst one I think I've ever had mentally), I still think about drinking. Wtf? Why can't my AV remember how panicked and anxious I was after the last drinking session. I never want to drink again...but I continue to wait for my next drink. Wtf?
Old 02-18-2015, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Scared, your AV doesn't care how panicked or anxious you were after your last drinking session. It wants to convince you that alcohol is the best way to forget about it, thus continuing the vicious circle. Don't let it sway you.

Dig your heels in and stay focused. You can do this!
Old 02-18-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Don't let it get the best of you, Scared, you are stronger than the addiction. You just need to believe that. When you think of alcohol and want to drink, think about the worst hangover you've ever had. Where did that come from. Or think of the most embarrassing moment from drinking. Is it really worth the effort to even consider returning to that life style and have those events happen again? And I assure you, they will return with the bottle. Now think of waking in the morning, clear-headed, and remembering what you did the night before with no remorse. Focus on the money you're saving, the health you are regaining. Why on earth would you want anything else but to be rid of the addiction and enjoy true freedom. Put positive thoughts of sobriety in the place of the wanting to drink. Do this each time and watch the results.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Never forget, scared - you're in control - the more you refuse to give your AV what it wants, the weaker it will get.

Promise

D
Old 02-18-2015, 08:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi scared, everyone has different ways of dealing with AV. What worked for me was instant distraction. Don't let it get beyond the first thought to the where, how and who with. Divert your thinking right away. You'll get good at it, I promise.

If you're finding it hits as a predictable time (you're tired and possibly hungry), get in first and divert it with something to eat or drink. I found hunger, tiredness, thirst and stress were my triggers, and they're reasonably easy to avoid once you're aware of them.

Someone here PM'd me about the hunger part. He started having a protein shake mid-afternoon and found it killed the after-work cravings. I used to get a fresh fruit juice after work and that helped me.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

scared, as the others have said, stay the course! There's no real reason to drink. none. The addictive voice wants to convince you otherwise. Drinking is not an option! you're doing great!

Love from Lenina