Notices

Valentines Night Binge

Old 02-18-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Valentines Night Binge

Hello everyone,

I first came here about 4 months ago because I needed a place to get the pain I felt I have been causing with my binge drinking. Well I had been doing really good since joining and poster but relapsed pretty bad after a pleasant valentines day. At the beginning I took my gf to college for class and I went to store and purchased flowers and candy and placed them in here apartment. We made a delicious steak dinner together and she purchased a bottle of wine. Once I drank a glass I ended up drinking the rest of the bottle, grabbed a bottle half full from the fridge and finished it, drank 5 beers, and then finished it off with 1 smirronoff ice. I woke up the next morninig as sick as ever and so upset with myself. I was doign so well and felt so healthy and happy in my opinion. It has been 4 full days since that night and I still feel sick and not right mentally. I feel like i threw everything away and am finiding it hard to move on because I do not feel well. I will surely get critically sick from alcohol the way that I cant stop drinking.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello FD best thing is to learn from it it only gets worse

Congrats on day 4 bud
Old 02-18-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dragon, my son ended up with a DUI a month ago for the exact same thing. It started out innocuously, wine with a homemade dinner for his girlfriend, and he COULD NOT STOP. It ruined his legal record, possibly his future, his relationships with her parents, with us, with her....
My point is you need to recognize that one is never enough. Don't end up with a DUI or worse. Be cognizant of what is happening.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

sorry and all that...

I'm just trying to figure out WHY you drank a glass of wine? Did she pour it for you?
Does she fully understand the nature of the problem? And if she does, why would she get a bottle of wine? But wait,
why was there a half bottle, several beers and a smirn ice in the refrigerator?

That's the part I don't understand. Ever here of that old phrase an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure?
Don't keep alcohol around! And don't sit with someone who has to have alcohol. Sway it is.

oh, 'here' - means her apartment? you need to protect yourself, and if she is not willing to support that...
Old 02-19-2015, 12:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your relapse. I've done it under similar and dissimilar situations. If there was alcohol around, I'd drink it.
In the end I had even given up on the notion that I could drink normaly. I knew I was an alcoholic, and there was no stopping me no matter the situation. And I was a bad drunk and everyone knew it and I didn't care. I lived to drink.
It took me many tries to finally get to the root of my problem.
I was a drunk, and only a power greater than myself could help me.

You say you were doing good. That's great. Now you have four days, that's good, too.
Try and remember how you feel now about drinking next time it presents itself.
Come here and read posts from the newcomes who are still suffering, and from those who have stopped drinking. It's been working for me, along with a deep faith, for four years.
Best to you and congratulations on day four, and remember, there never has to be another one.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Another binge drinker...that is what I am here for. I go weeks without alcohol and sometimes I can drink without making an arse of myself...but before too long it all gets out of hand...as it did again last night...I wasn't even going to have one...and sure enough I have spent the day in bed nursing a hangover and wanting to bash myself in the face for being so stupid!
Im sick of it and I accept I can't control it.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

what is it about "us" that we can't stop at one? I find the answers in my A.A. big book. I find A LOT of answers in my book.
Read this "One drink started a train of thought that became an obsession, and from then on, we couldnt stop drinking. We develop a mental compulsion to keep drinking until we got good and drunk. People often make 2 mistakes about alcoholism. One mistake is that it can be cured by physical treatment only, the other is that it can be cured by willpower. Neither is true. But we, as members of A.A. have found ways to arrest alcoholism."
I had the gift given to me freely and I am 29 days in A.A. and I can not begin to tell you how happy I am and how this movement has changed my life! And honestly, I thought I was pretty "OK" before, but I find that I am super OK now!!! Think about it...it's free, find a meeting, just go listen, you don't have to say a word and you will find the most humble, caring, genuine group of people you have ever met, I promise.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Yea, most of us have found that drinking that first glass of wine etc leads to the wiping out all we can get our hands on before passing out.......

Many of us went through what you did - acceptance we cannot drink at all and the willingness to make necessary changes are the keys. I found I had to be ready for these or I simply continued to spiral down.

Glad you're here with us, we been where you're at
Keep coming back!
Old 02-19-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job on the 4 months of sobriety which you amassed; I am sorry to hear that about the events of Valentines Day.

I am wondering what you were doing during those four months of sobriety FOR your sobriety? SR can be a great tool but my feeling is that, in order for it to be effective, you need to really 'work' it. I notice that you have posted 8 times since you joined which is okay - some people are shy but learn a lot from other's experiences; were you logging-in and reading threads and 'stickies' during that time? Many people find that starting threads and receiving posts is very helpful. Others find that reading and responding to threads is beneficial (that is where I fit-in).

Do you have face-to-face support - AA, counseling?

I guess what I am trying to say is that alcoholism is a monster; it's progressive; it doesn't get better. The disease is capable of taking all of YOU (body, mind and soul) and everyone and everything important to you. Don't let it; FIGHT back, FightingDragon; breathe fire on it.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me i really needed to accept I was now a "non drinker", that meant no more having 1 or trying one, I was parting ways with alcohol on a permanent basis!!

Does your girlfriend know you are giving up alcohol? because that might be an important conversation to have!!

You can do this!! Go at things again!!
Old 02-19-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your relapse. I've been through them also. I can't have any alcohol around me period. She needs to know where you are at with alcohol. You can bounce back! Shake it off and move on
Old 02-19-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

sorry to hear you relapsed after a 4 month sober period.
LBrain asked everything I was going to.
Why was booze so accessible to you to do that? Does the GF know that you are wanting to quit?
Old 02-26-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wondering how you are doing out there Fighting Dragon???