Self-care (reward vs nurture)

Old 02-17-2015, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Self-care (reward vs nurture)

In this spiritual journey that recovery is, the physical is a part of it all.

The notion of Self-care is becoming a big part of my recovery.

I am beginning to realize that as a teenager There was something wrong with the fact I would stuff myself with toast, 4-8 pcs, every single day after school.

I was trying to give myself externally what I was not getting internally, emotionally, from my parents.

My parents could not give me what I needed. It's not that they wouldn't, they couldn't.

Instant gratification became a way to cope with what was missing.

What matters today is I understand that I need to nurture myself in right ways. Instead of having a dessert for supper, I can have supper and then a dessert. And instead of 2 ice creams, I can have fruit with a delicious yogurt on top.

This is really what my Spirit desires.

Loving and nurturing myself is key.

Feeling good VS feeling about myself.

And the HP has to be part of this. I can keep praying for I must ask to receive.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My therapist told me yesterday to do something kind for myself every day.

My first thought was, I do already! I indulge in a bath, or a little TV, or a piece of chocolate, or a trip to the thrift store (I <3 thrift stores), and eat good food basically every day. So I looked at her kind of blankly.

But since then, and looking at your posts, we might nurture ourselves daily in ways that aren't indulgences, but self-care like things that maybe aren't FUN but will become a source of pride and peace-of-mind when they're taken care of. Like maybe taking care of some paperwork or some other tasks that I've been putting off but that will come back and bite me, and that constantly weigh on some corner of my mind, would be self-care, because I am eliminating my present/future stress and providing myself with my security.

Thanks for posting!!!!!