Powerlessness & Florida

Old 08-13-2004, 02:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No More Mrs. Nice Guy

Powerlessness & Florida

Well, a hurricane is a great opportunity to discuss the idea of powerlessness and unmanageability. No matter how much you yell, scream, beg, plead, connive, cry, bribe or ignore that hurricane, it's still going to come and do what it does.

Why? Because it's a freakin hurricane, that's why.

It isn't because you did or didn't do something, or that you didn't say "oh please don't rain really hard today" in just the right voice. It's a hurricane, and it's going to do what hurricanes do.

OUR job is to know that it's coming (you can thank The Weather Channel for the heads up) and to protect ourselves and our children from its wrath.... and then we all band together and clean up the aftermath.

I found this correlation pretty amazing... and I have my own little powerlessness thing to deal with as I am supposed to fly to Florida TOMORROW for a week's vacation with my kids.

TOMORROW. And you know what? All the crying and screaming and shouting ITS NOT FAIR won't change the fact that the hurricane is going to do what it's going to do, and I'll deal with it as I have to. I have all sorts of things I want to know right now and I just don't get that luxury. Either we can get on the plane or we can't, either the flights will be canceled or delayed, or they won't. I have to remain here in the moment, finish my laundry and pack - and take of the things that are within my control. (and pack the ponchos and a flashlight and a deck of cards, just in case)

Hugs and love
Barb
Old 08-13-2004, 02:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Safe travels Barb.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hope all goes well for you Osier!!!

I liked your post. It really makes one think about our powerlessness.Take care!!