OT: the best laid plans....

Old 02-16-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: the best laid plans....

day off today, yay! first order of business, stay in bed and get some more rest. check.
have some steel cut oats with flax....and butter....and brown sugar...and milk. check!
spot mop the entry way/kitchen. check. (spritz some bleach on the floor, fold up paper towels, and use my fly lady rubba sweepa and swoosh away).
get the pork chops in a marinade so hank can grill them tonite. check. (I used a nice dry rub recipe, added oil and then basted each chop).
bake some muffins! check. (ok, so AFTER putting a cup of milk I check the directions and it says 1/2 a cup. so I added corn meal and flour).
get some laundry going. check.
get outside and do some yardwork. ok first I must apologize to my fellow americans who are suffering thru bitter cold, feet of snow, blizzards. here in seattle its SPRING. the camellias have bloomed, the bluebells are about 6" up, and my damn hydrangea is in full sprout. so in mid February I deadheaded my hydrangea yesterday and the got out today and cleaned it all up, raked up a bunch of moss, scraped more moss off the driveway, swept, used the blower. and in honor of my frozen compatriots, I used othe snow shovel as my dust pan/scooper. CHECK!

run down stairs to check the laundry and.......the damn basement is flooded!!! noooooooooo! stupid stack washer dryer was unbalanced enough that the exit tube must have come loose and there's water everywhere.

ACK! we have a shop vac but last time I used it to suck up water hank says I did something wrong and so I wasn't going to add that to mess. fortunately he picked up a bag of free bar towels from a yard sale and so I put those down and sucked up what I could. but now what?

do I dare try to wash them and make it worse? I just took the wet ones and threw them in the dryer, ook and all. I really don't want this to be hank's homecoming! dammit. I used my phone to try and take a photo of BEHIND the washer.....there's no way to get behind it, as the water heater is right beside it and I certainly can't move it by myself.

isn't life grand? doesn't it have a wonderful way of keeping you humble? grounded!? as in wet feet on squishy towels in the basement grounded???
Old 02-16-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you have a nearby neighbor with a shop vac? Yikes, sorry for your troubles. Flooding is awful. Sending you good thoughts.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'd lend you one of my basement lifeboats, but I'm afraid I may need them again.

All I can say is that I feel your pain (and your dampness). Console yourself that it is washing machine water and not sewer water.

Once Hank gets the shop-vac working (ahem) the RIGHT way, it shouldn't take long to suck up that amount of water. Hopefully nothing got damaged?
Old 02-16-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Having spring weather and FLOWERS cancels your flood sympathy from me...

it was -16 this AM for me....and we are getting 5 inches of snow tonight.

I hope that you can level the machine to work properly and stop the problem, (ugh, mold) I don't understand why you would use a stack option in the basement??

be careful plugging anything in in wet.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
it was -16 this AM for me....and we are getting 5 inches of snow tonight.
I know, right? WTF?
Old 02-16-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hey I added that caveat - i'm so sorry to my frozen friends!!!

why the stack washer? came with the house. whaddya do? it's only the second time in 8 years its done this. it wasn't like ankle deep....just lots of water that covered a lot of ground. the carpet in front of the washer caught a lot of it....I do have a fan going.

it's 55 degrees here right now and not raining. is that not insane??? so from me to fandy that's a 70 degree swing from coast to coast???? people are mowing their yards here. however our snow pak is virtually GONE so we will be suffering big time come summer with no melt from the mountains...we would cheerfully take truck loads of snow off your hands. except its 45 up in the hills.

crazy.

time to go switch out the towels and get my pedicure soak!
Old 02-16-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
isn't life grand? doesn't it have a wonderful way of keeping you humble? grounded!? as in wet feet on squishy towels in the basement grounded???
My tale of woe won't top yours, Anvil, but I'll share anyways.

My town here in New England's Merrimack Valley got another 14" of snow this weekend. This is on top of the boatload of snow we've had in the past 3 weeks. My brother's down in FLA, which means I have to get his snowblower and do both of our driveways.

His driveway? Piece of cake, even though the snow is blowing right back in my face.

I walk the block to my house to clear my driveway and discover the snowplow had dumped a pile of snow 6 feet high, 10 feet wide and about 15 feet deep where my front walkway is. That's 900 cubic feet of heavy snow and ice blocking my front walkway. This means the mailman cannot access my mailbox. And the snow is too deep to use the snowblower to make another path.

It baffles me. How can anyone with two eyes not see there's a walkway where he dumped that 900 cubic feet of snow. Of course, there's always the possibility he doesn't give a crap.

I finished my driveway, redid my brother's driveway because the plow had blocked him in, and then I went back to my house to rake my roof. I'm 6'2". The snow is now above my waist as I trudge through it to get the snow of my roof. My boots and my socks are soaked by the end of this, and by the time I'm done, the wind chill makes the temperature to feel like -25 degrees.

At least I have a warm house with a dry basement, though.

I have to buy a basket for my other door so I can get my mail. That pile of snow and ice will be there until at least late April.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

well....the washer/dryer is dead....or at least stuck....on spin. so I get a new appliance out of the deal. oddly enough we had JUST filed our taxes...and the universe has found ways for us to spend it! thank you!

hank was so cool headed.....he'd called on the way home, asking if I need anything....I said so do you want to hear about the basement flood NOW or when you get home??? he said, oh that's it, i'm turning around and headed to the bar! LOL

he pulled up the carpet, that's outside, there's no padding, so it's just bare cement now with a fan airing out. thankfully I was pretty caught up on laundry when this happened. now I get to google and order an new machine. hank says to look for a new stove too, while i'm at it.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Wow! Looks like the minor disaster turned into a pretty good deal. I'd love to order a new stove and washer/dryer.

Congratulations!
Old 02-16-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
So in the end, after a lot of water drama and a bit of a hit on the tax return, it sounds like you're going to be alright.

But we still don't know if the muffins tasted any good.

Don't leave us hanging Anvilhead.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Originally Posted by SeriousKarma View Post
So in the end, after a lot of water drama and a bit of a hit on the tax return, it sounds like you're going to be alright.

But we still don't know if the muffins tasted any good.

Don't leave us hanging Anvilhead.
I'm so glad I wasn't the only one more concerned about how the muffins turned out than the flood.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Maybe if you would have had pancakes for breakfast that wouldn't have happened.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm so jealous!!!

I stayed home yesterday because my work was closed due to the foot of snow we received!! It's our first snow this season, so that was exciting. I am over it now...ready for spring!
Old 02-17-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am happy for you...

...that your laundry is in the basement, and not second floor.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Maybe the flood drowned the mouse? Sorry about the high waters, Anvil! Hope everything is dry and mold-free