I failed my weekend task

Old 02-15-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I failed my weekend task

To buy something for myself. I can't think of anything that I feel like is worth spending money on. I simply can't. That and it's sooooooooo tricking cold outside I don't wanna go anywhere. I have been busy taking care of (and doting on) my sick puppy dog. I dunno. This is just sad. Can't think of ONE thing to do for myself? Sad.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not a single thing? A new tshirt, a book, nothing? Even just a single song on Itunes, there has to be SOMETHING you can spend a few bucks on.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Scentsy- like wax melter and new scents. I get a lot of fun swapping out scents.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TerpGal View Post
To buy something for myself. I can't think of anything that I feel like is worth spending money on. I simply can't. That and it's sooooooooo tricking cold outside I don't wanna go anywhere. I have been busy taking care of (and doting on) my sick puppy dog. I dunno. This is just sad. Can't think of ONE thing to do for myself? Sad.
I'm right there with you I have to head to Walmart to get dog food, and it is SO SO SO SO cold. I was to go out at 8:00 a.m., it's now 1!

I was going to go out and get me something too! I have not looked at your profile, but I'm my own Valentine. Trying to be a bit happy.

I don't really see anything I would want. I HATE spending money. I always have it in the back of my head that I need this safety net.

You know that song "I'm in a hurry to get things done, I rush and rush until lifes no fun. All I really have to do is live and die, I'm in a hurry and don' know why."

I need to make sure my sons alright. I have to find work, I have to keep the utilizes going, I can't let my mom down--she done so much for me. I cry all the time, my son don't even want to be by me because I just break into tears. I think it's the isolation that's killing me.

I'm pitiful huh?
Old 02-15-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I like to sit in my comfy chair browsing Amazon
or Ebay for unusual, cute, up to date fashions,
earrings, causal dresses to wear during the day.

Maybe something relating to recovery,
my Faith, garden, tattoos, motorcycle
riding.

Back in the day, I collected CD's of my
favorite artists to listen to while riding
to work, or the park to walk, grocery
store, or waiting to pick up my kids
from band. Music has always been
huge thru out my life even tho I never
had the opportunity to learn to play
an instrument.

Simple things that make me smile
or feel good inside, appreciate is what
I look for to have around me.

Cozy cute slippers, flats, flowers that
I can grow in my yrd. garden, pots. Any
thing and everything red. LUV RED..!!!
And things that shine and are sparkly.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'll tell you a great place to find something fun and cool: Novica. It's run by National Geographic and it sells items made by artists all over the world. Many live in remote villages in far-away places. There is jewelry and clothing and pottery and furniture/home decor. You can read the bios of the artists on the site. I've bought several things--mostly jewelry and pottery--and it makes me feel like I'm helping to support the artist as well as finding lovely gifts for myself.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Perhaps you're simply feeling down because your dog is sick......it's understandable you don't feel like shopping.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"I can't think of anything that I feel like is worth spending money on."

It sounds to me like you may need to buy yourself something that is NOT a necessity, and maybe isn't really worth the actual money spent. What I'm talking about is a "gift" to yourself.

My husband pretty much sucks at any holiday pertaining to anyone other than himself. So, I've decided that it's completely acceptable for me to buy me a gift. Not a gift that I then tell him is from him to me, but a gift that I tell myself is from me to me. I'm worth that.

For Valentine's Day I went out, and made myself buy myself some luxuries. I bought a good chocolate bar, a box of nice tea and a purse-sized bottle of fragrant hand lotion from Bath and Body Works. I spent under $10, but do feel like I did something nice for myself, and I didn't even notice his lack of effort for Valentine's Day.

Do you have a favorite tea or coffee you could go pick up for tomorrow's breakfast? Or a favorite treat food or goodie? If you ordered something from Amazon, then you'd have a small package to look forward to being delivered. But I definitely think we all need to do nice things for ourselves. You deserve to be treated well, even and especially by yourself.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm trying to have 2015 be the year I actually take charge of my finances. I'm good with money, bad with impulses. A lot of online shopping, where I don't *see* the money really gets me in trouble. And student loan payments. I should have just bought a d*mn house instead!

Anyways, I read your post before I left to get some groceries. I bought myself two candles (BOGO) and gave a lilac one to my mom and kept the sweet pea.

Thank you for the idea.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I'll tell you a great place to find something fun and cool: Novica. It's run by National Geographic and it sells items made by artists all over the world. Many live in remote villages in far-away places. There is jewelry and clothing and pottery and furniture/home decor. You can read the bios of the artists on the site. I've bought several things--mostly jewelry and pottery--and it makes me feel like I'm helping to support the artist as well as finding lovely gifts for myself.
I have 2 mirrors from them..purchased through Overstock and going through ebates...(cash back). The mirrors are handpainted from Peru, I get many compliments on them.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have an idea..... I read today that I think it was Boston, of someone wrapping a scarf around a light post and putting a sign on it if you need it take it. I thought that was amazing with all the cold people out there, especially the east coast this year.

Why don't you go buy some hats, mittens scarves and go to the city and donate them to the homeless people or a shelter. The joy from giving is so much greater then buying something that you really don't need or want.

Just my thought!!
Old 02-15-2015, 04:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Was this a self imposed task?

I remember a thread here to say something good about ourselves. I could not do it. It was a great awareness for me and really hurt. Alanon, working the steps with a sponsor, therapy, etc. One day at a time, baby steps. Healing comes.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You are important. You deserve kindness. It's okay to take it easy on yourself. I've been where you are, and still visit that place occasionally. Life does get better. Work the steps... they do work and you are worth it!
Old 02-15-2015, 08:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Maybe you DID do something for your today, a big lovely nothing. Sometimes doing nothing and loving on our little fur babies IS doing something for ourselves. It sounds like a doggone good time to me! Hugs..I don't think you failed.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well I ended up buying myself some bath and body works stuff online (the scent I really wanted is only sold online anymore-GAH BBW WHY must you discontinue all my faves lol). They had a buy 3 get 3 free deal with a 10% off coupon and free shipping. I did go to the mall, still had a Macy's gift card from Christmas. I needed more eye cream (my face only tolerates Clinique without breaking out horribly)........I found a perfume that I really wanted but I got the eye cream instead. I am sort of obsessed with fragrences. I felt guilty spending the BBW money but oh well.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good for you Terp!
Old 02-17-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Let me help you....it's cold outside....go to the nearest Starbucks and order a White Chocolate Hot Chocolate.

It is so good that it will amaze you!!!!!