Notices

Really struggling today - close to drinking

Old 02-14-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Really struggling today - close to drinking

I promise myself I'd post here before I went and bought some beer.
The cravings are mad today - really doubting my decision to stop drinking for ever and just want to get drunk for a bit. I'm feeling I'll from a condition that should have got better from not drinking even though in my case not directly caused by it and wondering what's the point - a few drinks will help the pain.
I've done all the urge surfing, looked at my old posts etc. to no avail. Just really want to escape for a while ........I'll stop again tomorrow. Surely one afternoon / evening won't hurt.......and it is my birthday!
Old 02-14-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First of all , happy birthday.

I can't get into the chat room on my phone but can see there are some folk in there. Is it worth popping in there to take your mind off things.

Having a drink will be a temporary buzz but a much longer period of misery. Please hang on in there.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is your addiction speaking. Nothing good will come from a drink or a drunk.

Get busy. Distract. Call a non-drinking friend.

Our addiction will use any "in". Physical pain is not going to be healed by drink. We cannot have that first drink. You won't stop at one drunk, please don't do it.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

drinking isn't worth it, the pain will return.

let yourself heal well. maybe an over the counter med will help and you can make it through this and feel stronger than now....

hugs and love to you
Old 02-14-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday!

Perhaps don't think about not drinking forever. Think about not drink right now, in this moment. Sometimes when I wanted to drink so bad an couldn't find a working distraction I'd just go down for a nap... Pull the covers over my head and just count my breath. Weird I know.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

There's this little thing called "tomorrow".

And you will be sick, and nauseous, and shakey, and panicked, and you will have to dry out all over again.

Is it worth it ?
Old 02-14-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Can't access chat either vas on phone and I don't have any non drinking friends sadly - not that I could talk about it to anyway.
I feel like just running away but can't due to the pain and I'm full of painkillers (in on 3 prescribed drugs to deal with side effects)
I don't want to go back to drinking - just a little time out.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
There's this little thing called "tomorrow".

And you will be sick, and nauseous, and shakey, and panicked, and you will have to dry out all over again.
That would strengthen my resolve maybe - remind me of why I stopped again.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Don't you have AA where you are? Call the AA phone number and talk to whoever answers. That is what they are there for. They are your non-drinking friends.

Pain is not going to be cured with alcohol.

Eat a good meal and go to bed. It's a lot better than drinking. Just for today...
Old 02-14-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great job on posting Hendrix!!

One day at a time, don't be worrying about forever, only until bedtime, that's all any of us are working towards, and then maybe tomorrow morning you'll feel a bit better, but if you do drink I guarantee there's no chance of feeling better tomorrow morning, you'll simply feel worse with a hangover as an added bonus!!

Any chance of simply taking your mind off things, a walk in the fresh air, or what I found passed hours was simply a few online puzzles/games, the arcade here on SR is full of things to pass the time!!

Don't give up on today, post as much as you need, SR is here for you!!

ps. Happy Birthday!!
Old 02-14-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Didn't get on with AA for many reasons when I tried before.
I'm just whining, need to man-up that's all. Hopefully it'll just peak and subside.....
Old 02-14-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Don't do that drinking. Sobriety isn't necessarily an immediate panacea to cure all your ailments but it's the right choice to make. Stick to your plan of staying sober, it was a good plan yesterday and it'll be a good plan tomorrow and today.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hendrix, there are many people on this board that once they pick up again that really struggle with trying to get back their motivation, much less the sober time they once achieved. Don't do it. It's not worth it.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I understand. AA isn't for everyone.

Hey, Happy Birthday! What a great gift to yourself to give you this next year alcohol-free!

SR is in your corner. Like PK said, keep posting. Maybe check out the weekenders thread in Newcomers. There's a new one every week and it's always full of interesting stuff.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Happy birthday.I wish you a sober one.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Can't access chat either vas on phone and I don't have any non drinking friends sadly - not that I could talk about it to anyway.
I feel like just running away but can't due to the pain and I'm full of painkillers (in on 3 prescribed drugs to deal with side effects)
I don't want to go back to drinking - just a little time out.
Unfortunately it usually doesn't work that way. Happy Birthday give yourself a gift and stay sober.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

I struggle with the one day at a time thing because I end up having the same internal dialogue /battle every day because I've always got the option to drink tomorrow.
That's why deciding I'll never drink again has worked so far for this, the longest time I've ever been without drink since I was 17.
I would have thought it would get easier but today has come out of nowhere.......and it's so hard. It's like I've forgotten every thing I've learned so far and it's day 1 again!
Old 02-14-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The last time I drink, I was so hungover and suffering from withdrawals that I nearly went to hospital.

Is that the way you really want to spend your birthday? Give yourself a nice gift instead, or a nice meal. I quit for good, as well, 17 months ago. And you can too.

Kind regards
Dave
Old 02-14-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I promise myself I'd post here before I went and bought some beer.
The cravings are mad today - really doubting my decision to stop drinking for ever and just want to get drunk for a bit. I'm feeling I'll from a condition that should have got better from not drinking even though in my case not directly caused by it and wondering what's the point - a few drinks will help the pain.
I've done all the urge surfing, looked at my old posts etc. to no avail. Just really want to escape for a while ........I'll stop again tomorrow. Surely one afternoon / evening won't hurt.......and it is my birthday!

Happy Birthday, Hendrix.

I am sorry that you aren't feeling well. Please don't drink even 'just' for today. It is not worth the risk. It is your addiction that is telling that one drunk won't hurt; your addiction is lying.

Celebrate and honor Hendrix today.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That would strengthen my resolve maybe - remind me of why I stopped again.
And maybe it won't . . . . .