Notices

day five and bored

Old 02-13-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day five and bored

All right been hanging out for a while but haven't posted. Today is day 5 and I'm getting bored. I'm 30 and single in a small town. I drank at the bar for the most part, about as much for the social aspect as the alchohol.

I really don't want to be home again tonight. I want to go see my friends. But I'm not sure I can handle being there without drinking. And only one or two people there know I am trying to quit.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm pretty bored myself. I only have 13 months sober.

The thing is this, can you endure some boredom or discomfort in your social life for just long enough so that you can return to life confident you will not be tempted by the lure of drinking?

It's a tough one. But many of us have had to put the old people, places and things on hold for a while. Your call. Try to tough it out. Find something to read or other something to busy yourself.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are lots of things to do:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Old 02-13-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by mule View Post
I'm not sure I can handle being there without drinking.
Five days sober, you probably can't. Stay strong. Find something to occupy yourself that won't put you in harm's way.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Five days sober, you probably can't. Stay strong. Find something to occupy yourself that won't put you in harm's way.
^I fully agree with this advice... Just speaking from experience. Getting 5 days sober is hard enough, you don't want to have to start over. Be proud of the time you have - you'll get stronger every day
Old 02-13-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

hey Mule, this is where planning is so important. It's not just about stopping drinking, you need to have plans to cope with boredom, cravings, social events etc. If you put some thought into life after drinking you're much less likely to fail.

Going into a drinking environment is probably too much of a temptation right now.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement. I guess that's why I posted. Having told only a couple people I'm quitting. Guess I don't want anyone to know till I feel like I'm doing good. Did get a distraction tonight that helped and is part of the reason o want to be sober
At the moment its great and it sucks at the same time.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Mule!!

Great job on Day 5, but for me that would have been too early to be anywhere near a bar, I had to make some tough decisions on the activities I got involved in and the people I hung out with for a long time, to build up some Sober muscles first, and if that meant many weekends sat in, then that was what was needed to make Sobriety happen!!

Hang in there!!
Old 02-14-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you reconsidered Mule

I was bored too - for a long time my fun came in a bottle...I had to re-learn how to have fun sober...but I did

Anna's list is a great start for ideas

D