Notices

Friday Night

Old 02-13-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday Night

Well it has been over 30 days...alcohol free...but I am struggling tonight. All I want to do is take a ride to then nearest package store and pour myself and a cold one. I was doing so good but now realize that the longer it goes on, the harder it appears that it is going to get. As I have been struggling today, it was odd that I ran into someone that has very important meaning with regard to my drinking....seems kind of strange to run into him...almost like a sign that I should NOT have that drink tonight. Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest...
Old 02-13-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Synchronicity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-13-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't do it, chloe719. Please. Don't wreck what you have built.

Friday nights were always hardest for me, especially during the first few months. But it DOES get easier. Just ride it out. Eat something. Get yourself a Starbucks flat white.

Stay strong. We are pulling for you.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is so hard...this is the perfect weather for drinking...Just had an argument with my husband. I had made the mistake of texting him during the workday that I was "feeling like some champagne" so he just called on his way and asked what I had decided. Said he would stop and get it. He drinks too although he has not on a Friday night since I quit. I KNEW he would be jonesing for me to cave and sure enough it happened. He just tried convincing me that I do NOT have a drinking problem and I am NOT an alcoholic. So stressful.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there Chloe!!

We have a Weekender thread on the go for extra support, everyone is welcome!!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...b-13-15-a.html
Old 02-13-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Friday nights were hard for me for awhile during early sobriety. Now, I must say, that I don't think about Friday night as a time that I used to drink and now I don't/can't but rather I see Friday night as a time to relax, get away from work, a time to have an awesome dinner and a wicked dessert. I still smile when I put my head on the pillow at around 9pm because I'm just tired and think about that was the time I was "pre-loading" and getting ready to go out. This is a much better life. I LOVE my weekend mornings waking up without the hangover and regret....I don't want to lose that! Stay strong tonight!
Old 02-13-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

No one ever regretted not drinking last might Chloe.
Your addiction wants the drink not you. You're not missing anything

D
Old 02-13-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ok. So we have established that your husband is not going to be your go-to person for emotional support on the issue of drinking. That's ok. Many of us have spouses who drink or who otherwise are less than supportive of our efforts to get and stay sober. And some of us have spouses who WANT us to drink so that they don't have to address their own issues with alcohol, or so that they have something to hold over you.

But that really isn't the point, is it? You got to 30 days because you understand the importance of what you are doing. If you want excuses to drink, you will undoubtedly find hundreds. Perfect weather? Sure. Stressful day? Why not. Unsupportive husband? That works.

But I think you understand that that those excuses are just that. Excuses.

So, vent if it helps. Just don't let it affect your resolve. And remember, we at SR are here to help. We get it. And we got your back.

Stay close. And let us know how you are doing.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey, Chloe. Congrats on making it 30 days. I'm on day 6, so this is my first beautiful Friday afternoon in awhile without grabbing some beers to chill out. I feel your pain. I totally agree with what was said earlier, though, in that I've never woken up a morning after not drinking and regretted not having alcohol, though I know if I drink tonight I'm going to be really pissed and upset tomorrow. Hopefully that will get me through tonight. Best of luck to you.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Keep going. Don't listen to people saying you don't have a problem because that is one of the reasons I started drinking again after 80 days and I'm now back trying again.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I work "downtown" where there are many bars. At quitting time (around 5 pm) on Thursdays and Fridays it is bustling with people about to go drink or started drinking early. I live in a college town so it really is lively at these times. Its very very hard. And it is even harder today because it is a really nice evening around 60 when it is supposed to be 30 and snowing... although the bars are always hopping too when it is snowing. I guess there is an excuse any day to drink.