Notices

Drunk me built a platform for sober me to climb onto

Old 02-13-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drunk me built a platform for sober me to climb onto

Hi Everyone,
I found some old journals from when I had a heavy drinking spell a few years ago. I wrote about wanting to stop drinking because I knew it was too much but I didn't ever actually try to stop. Maybe I knew I just wouldn't at that point. The day I stopped I thought to myself I guess I'll stop now and did so. It's like there was another me inside of me that woke up and took over.

I had been working towards it - doing the work to love myself by doing therapy and reading books like the incredible "Healing the Shame that Binds You". Major work for over a year before I stopped. Loving the good parts of me. Being patient with the broken parts. Trying to mend them. Accepting them as mended thought no longer new. I think building a foundation while still drinking was possible for me. I built a little platform for that newly sober me to climb onto.

Just a thought to keep me on the platform.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

These are very powerful images you are invoking.

Thank you for posting.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post!!
Old 02-13-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you.

It takes a lot of work, preparation and planning to get and stay sober and it sounds like you're on the way.

Your post reminded me of a book that helped me so much. I think, in shame, I had turned away from the 'dark side' of myself and tried to focus on the good. But, I found that the 'dark' parts of me had to heal too and in order to do that they needed to be dragged into the light.

The Shadow Effect: Illuminating the Hidden Power of Your True Self, with Deepak Chopra, Marianne Williamson & Debbie Ford.