Notices

Another first for me coming up

Old 02-13-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Another first for me coming up

Having stayed sober through my first xmas and new year I'm now facing my first sober birthday.
Traditionally it's been a day where I can openly drink myself silly from midday to midnight under the pretence of "celebration"
I'm planning for this one to be really low key - take it easy, watch the rugby on TV, favourite meal, bit of time with family.
My wife suggested we go out for dinner! We've never done that on birthdays before because it means that someone would have had to drive - now the assumption is that I'll drive and she'll quite happily drink wine! I've told her that's not an option but do feel a bit selfish about it. I just think it's still early days and I don't want to sit there listening to my AV rabbit on inside my head with all those triggers about.
I suppose I've been selfish all through the years I was drinking in many ways so a bit longer won't hurt
I'll stay close to SR - thanks for listening
Old 02-13-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

excellent, enjoy your birthday
Old 02-13-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The entire first year of "firsts" can be difficult - first sober birthday, first sober vacation, etc. It's great though that you are recognizing the potential pitfalls ahead of time and planning for them. I don't think it is selfish to ask your wife to not drink in the circumstance, i woudl be willing to bet she will be just fine with it. Another option could be to cook a nice meal or order some good carryout for home. Either way, sounds like you have it under control...and SR is always here of course should you need reinforcments. And happy b-day!
Old 02-13-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and happy BDay!!!

I really dont think it's too much to ask.

My first sober Bday I held a beer bottle that my FIL gave me. It was terrible. I didn't drink but I felt like such a phoney. My FIL was my "drinking buddy", now he is in the hospital with cirrhosis and all types of complications. He had a malignant tumor (on top of cirrhosis).This all just went down about a month ago... Enjoy your sober Bday and many more to come!
Old 02-13-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In my early sober days I would get weepy about certain “special” days that I used to drink and “celebrate” until a wonderful old timer convinced me that it’s just another day and I would be sober to enjoy life one day at a time.

BE WELL
Old 02-13-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday!!!
Old 02-13-2015, 06:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a good plan in place, Hendrix, and a nice way to honor the healthy body with which you were born.

Hope you have a wonderful day. Happy Birthday, Hendrix!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Thanks people - it does make me smile how expressions mean different things on different sides of the Atlantic...

...Scott's suggestion to get a carryout presumably means takeaway food. To me it means the bottles you buy at pub chucking out time to take home and continue drinking! I'll be sticking with the food idea

I do feel much more confident and less deprived facing this than xmas. probably because the whole world isn't celebrating my birthday but hopefully some of it is due to the fact I've got 102 sober days under my belt!
Old 02-13-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
...Scott's suggestion to get a carryout presumably means takeaway food. To me it means the bottles you buy at pub chucking out time to take home and continue drinking! I'll be sticking with the food idea
Yes, to many of us in the US "carryout" means prepared food you pick up at a restaurant and take home to eat. I forget sometimes that we are a very international forum. Glad you don't plan on taking my advice literally in your translantion ;-)
Old 02-13-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can do this Hendrix!! Have a fantastic Birthday!!