Deepak & Oprah Meditation Series - 3/16/15

Old 02-12-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Deepak & Oprah Meditation Series - 3/16/15

Hello FFA,

Another *free* meditation series was announced! I have found these very handy and useful in my recovery and placing my focus back on ME. If you've been wondering about trying meditation, I found the previous 21 day programs very helpful as they usually talk about the day's topic and then set up the meditation in a 20 minute session.

https://chopracentermeditation.com/?...=mts-recruit-1
Old 02-12-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm signed up, this was WONDERFUL last time!

I also signed up for their Women's 7-day program because it looked interesting:

Unleash Your Inner Goddess: An Inspirational Guide for Women | The Chopra Center
Old 02-12-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'l be honest I like Deepak, I read a couple of his book several years ago and they were helpful to me.

He gets a lot of unnecessary slack. Ever see the spats he had with Richard Dorkins? I do not like that guy!
Old 02-12-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just signed up for both the goddess and the other meditation series. Thanks, you guys!
Old 03-11-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I did the last meditation experience and it was fantastic. Got an email today reminding me that this starts next Monday. Since we have quite a few newcomers I just wanted to bump this thread. These guided meditations are a great way to start with a meditation practice, they are short, relaxing, easy to fit into even a hectic day and free.
I'm fortunate to have access to a mindfulness class through the VA, which has been a real boon for my personal recovery. The benefits are tremendous. This is a great way to get started on a self care routine.

Something else to try is laughter yoga. We did a session at our last Alanon Be Good to Yourself weekend retreat and it was awesome. Laughter yoga clubs are all over the world. It's free, it's fun and it's only a half hour a week. Last Monday I took DS6 along with me and he had a blast doing "silly stretches."

Laughter Yoga Club For Laughter Exercises | Find Laughter Clubs
Old 03-12-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

again & Lady for this! I found a club that meets once a month in our area.

Originally Posted by ladyscribbler View Post
Something else to try is laughter yoga. We did a session at our last Alanon Be Good to Yourself weekend retreat and it was awesome. Laughter yoga clubs are all over the world. It's free, it's fun and it's only a half hour a week. Last Monday I took DS6 along with me and he had a blast doing "silly stretches."

Laughter Yoga Club For Laughter Exercises | Find Laughter Clubs
Old 03-12-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Looks like they have an app now, which will be simpler than going to the website to log in each day.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How are you folks doing w/this? I'm a day "behind" but otherwise it's going great. I especially like the journal part--it helps things sink in more for me. Thanks for letting me know about it!
Old 03-21-2015, 04:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know I'm "using" this series incorrectly but I listen right before bed and every time I'm asleep within 2-3 minutes after Oprah's intro ends. Got 7 solid hours of sleep last night! I really want to try actually listening/meditating for the whole 20+ minutes but gosh it works so well in calming my mind before bed!
Old 03-21-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No worries Guava!

Last year when I started meditating, I fell asleep all the time. I just accepted with insomnia for years now, it is likely I'm a bit sleep deprived and that is just what my body needs - sleep.

Now I do catch most of these 20 minute sessions without conking out!
Old 03-21-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting this. I was on the mailing list but didn't receive any emails about it. Who knows....maybe I opted out because I was getting too many. I won't be able to do Day 1 but I'm gonna catch up on the others this afternoon. Just what I need to start spring on the right foot.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, I signed up for the Deepak/Oprah meditation series, and also, this one, from a spiritual guru I had never heard before but I really like him: OSHO: Meditation for Busy People

Meditation for Busy People - Home
Old 03-21-2015, 08:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm a couple of days behind too & sometimes I listen to them a 2nd time if they made a big impact. I tend to knock out right after Deepak starts the meditation & I come to as soon as he instructs us to 'release the mantra'.... Like clockwork, it's crazy.

I do like to listen right before bed/after yoga & then I sleep great.... but if i manage it during the day I'm way more energized, awake & aware afterward. Love these!!
Old 03-24-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I allow myself not to get compulsive about being behind. Some the meditations drop off the list before I get to them. I too listen at bedtime and am asleep within seconds after Deepak begins repeating the mantra!
Old 03-24-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Truthfully, missing days actually shows me how much I need to practice this every day. I can really see a difference in my patience, my internal balance, etc. when I miss more than a single day.

One of the things I like most about this program is that it encourages me to build a daily meditation habit. This is one of those things that I know I need, I know takes only 20 mins & I still prioritize it too low on my list.

This time around I prepared myself by buying new cheap-but-comfy headphones ($5, AC Moore ) so I can use my phone to login from anywhere. I can grab 20 mins at the oddest times some days - midday at work, waiting for DD after school, 1st thing in the morning, etc., rather than waiting until the end of my day when I am already exhausted.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
Truthfully, missing days actually shows me how much I need to practice this every day. I can really see a difference in my patience, my internal balance, etc. when I miss more than a single day.

One of the things I like most about this program is that it encourages me to build a daily meditation habit. This is one of those things that I know I need, I know takes only 20 mins & I still prioritize it too low on my list.

This time around I prepared myself by buying new cheap-but-comfy headphones ($5, AC Moore ) so I can use my phone to login from anywhere. I can grab 20 mins at the oddest times some days - midday at work, waiting for DD after school, 1st thing in the morning, etc., rather than waiting until the end of my day when I am already exhausted.
I missed the first day but am determined to not fall more than one day behind. I've been getting up even earlier (hey, if you get up at 1:20, what's the difference between that and 1 AM?) to do it in the AM to make sure I DO do it. That always worked for me as a runner, too, and is working against my return to running now, since I have to be at work so early...

I really like the idea of cheapo headphones and listening at whatever point in the day affords 20 minutes. I only have a Tracfone, don't think it allows this, but it's something to consider when/if I upgrade.

Glad to hear from everybody about their experiences w/this!
Old 03-24-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Now that I think about it, I am on AC's e-mailing list & used one of the 50% off a single item coupons that they sent me ---- I only paid $2.50.

(hey, if you get up at 1:20, what's the difference between that and 1 AM?)
That's exactly the kind of change in thinking I had to do too; what IS the difference between 1 & 1:20?